Clean Wipe of OS and Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian1974

Cadet
how would i go about wiping both the OS and all storage drives?
I tried doing a clean install of freenas and wiped the old version, but it still sees
the configuration of the harddrives before as multipath devices which were previously connected to 2 HBA
cards.
There are no volumes anymore but multi path still seems to be looking for 2 hBA cards and is showing the system as degraded
Now I'm just using 1 HBA card, and want a fresh install of everything, so that freeness just sees the drives

any help appreciated

Fuganater

Patron
I'm sure there is an easier way but I just hook the drive up to one of my Windows machines, right click > format > done.

Edit: Did you try the factory restore feature?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Detach pool and select the wipe checkbooks.

Brian1974

Cadet
sadly that was not an option as the drives only showed up in the multipath tab and not the drives tab and there is no options in that tab, there are no pools or volumes its hanging onto the ZFS data that is stored at the beginning and end of the drive that keeps pool info, even though there is no longer a pool.
I tried the DD way and wouldn't allow me to do so, I then tried using Dban, however that only gave me access to my OS drives and nothing connected to the HBA
Finally i found a linux app that does what is needed and can wipe all the info from the raid drives (all 30 6TB drives)
I burnt an ISO disk of KillDisk for Linux, and it proceeded to give me access to all the drives and see all the partitions on the drives (all the old ZFS info)
I am in the process of the big wipe now, it does all 30 drives at once , but because they are 6TB there is 13 hours remaining 3% wiped so far,
If all goes well i can resume ZFS testing with just the one HBA card again.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.