SOLVED CIFS Service Could Not Be Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjk164

Cadet
It seems like quite a few people are having a similar issue to mine on the front page of this forum but none of the solutions have been successful in starting the service. Here are a few things I've tried so far and a brief timeline of the events that took place.
  1. started on release 9.2.1.5 64-bit RAIDZ2
  2. after rebooting the server I was unable to find a path to the server from Win7 machine
  3. tried this bug fix for bug 4874 and saw no change
  4. upgraded to 9.2.1.6 - unable to start CIFS
  5. factory restored config - was able start CIFS and see server from Win7 machine
  6. auto imported volume - unable to start CIFS
  7. fresh install 9.2.1.6
  8. auto imported volume - unable to start CIFS

It appears that something within the volume is causing it to not start because prior to importing I can start CIFS and see the network share. Listed below are the log messages when trying to start CIFS and the output after running testparm.

I suspect it is related to bug 4131 but I'm too much of a novice to know for sure. If it is related, would installing v9.2 allow me to get CIFS up and running again until 9.3 is released?

LOG MESSAGES:

Code:
Jul 17 12:38:49 freenas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Jul 17 12:38:49 freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jul 17 12:38:49 freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jul 17 12:38:57 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/sysctl -n 'kern.maxfilesperproc'
Jul 17 12:38:57 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/pdbedit -d 0 -i smbpasswd:/tmp/tmpSe_9Fs -s /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf -e tdbsam:/var/etc/private/passdb.tdb

TESTPARM OUTPUT:

Code:
[root@waves] /var/log/samba4# testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[waves]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: lock directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: state directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: cache directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

SPECS:
  • ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800
  • Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" NAS Hard Drive x 4

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I personally can't help you but I would recommend following the suggestions here
first so people can help you once they start coming online this afternoon.

D

dlavigne

WARNING: cache directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work

Does chmod'ing that directory to that set of permissions fix it?

cjk164

Cadet
Sorry, been meaning to come in here to respond, but yes, that fixed it. Sometimes the answer is right in front of your face. :)

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll have many more questions along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.