9.2.1.6. CIFS Refusing to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksman

Cadet
Used the GUI upgrade from 8.3.1 and appeared to work smoothly. However lost my plugin settings. No problem easy enough to create. However CIFS refused to work anymore.

Grabbed a new flash drive and put 9.2.1.6 and booted fine. Auto imported my volumn without any issues. Created my CIFS shares and went to the service page to to turn the CIFS shares on however i keep getting the unable to start error message.

I read the forums and saw others have this same issue with other versions and all with a variety of solutions.

Am i just overlooking something simple? Ive already rebooted both the NAS box and my laptop. I am by no means an expert on FreeNAS but i am fairly comfortable doing a setup as i have set up several older versions without any such issues. Is there any known issues that have come out since the release on Thursday?

Jul 6 15:38:36 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/sysctl -n 'kern.maxfilesperproc'
Jul 6 15:38:36 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/pdbedit -d 0 -i smbpasswd:/tmp/tmp1lVgdW -s /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf -e tdbsam:/var/etc/private/passdb.tdb
Jul 6 15:38:36 freenas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Jul 6 15:38:36 freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jul 6 15:38:36 freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jul 6 15:38:36 freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Personally I would have upgraded from 8.3.1 -> 9.2.0 -> 9.2.1.x.

Off the top of my head I don't know of anything that would cause this.

To be honest, your plugins are wiped out because the 8.x plugins and jails aren't compatible with 9.x plugins and jails. So if I were you I'd simply do a fresh install of 9.2.1.6 with no configuration, auto-import your pool and go from there. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to reconstruct your configuration (minus plugins and jails of course).

ksman

Cadet
Yea i dont mind the plugins being wiped. I am comfortable with those to set them back up. I wondered about jumping to 9.2.1.6 from such an old version.

I did actually do a fresh install when i couldn't get the other to work. I am dealing with a fresh install on a new flash drive and that's where i get the CIFS unable to start issue. I am sure its something simple that i am overlooking but for the life of me i am not seeing it.

stadlereric

Dabbler
Yea i dont mind the plugins being wiped. I am comfortable with those to set them back up. I wondered about jumping to 9.2.1.6 from such an old version.

I did actually do a fresh install when i couldn't get the other to work. I am dealing with a fresh install on a new flash drive and that's where i get the CIFS unable to start issue. I am sure its something simple that i am overlooking but for the life of me i am not seeing it.
Im having the same issue with 9.2.1.6, i get the cannot start cifs service when trying to turn on. Also my cifs shares have disappeared and i get a traceback when trying to create one. Im at a loss as to what to do next. Im assuming doing a clean install with my backed up db is an option, but would prefer to figure out a fix for this.

strophy

Dabbler
I'm having the same problem - I'm the author of this previous post, but I gave up in the 9.2.1.3 - 9.2.1.5 upgrade process and decided to wait for 9.2.1.6-RELEASE. I'm still having problems!

This is a clean install of 9.2.1.6 on a USB stick in a ProLiant N54L Microserver. My only steps were to set a root password and email, enable console, auto-import my existing volume, create two users, add them to one group, configure recursive UNIX permissions for that new group on one of my datasets and create a Windows share, which then automatically enabled the CIFS service. FreeNAS is not browseable on the network and the share is not visible. CIFS appears to start, but the console gives me this output:

Jul 8 20:32:34 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/sysctl -n 'kern.maxfilesperproc'
Jul 8 20:32:34 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: zfs list -H -o mountpoint,name
Jul 8 20:32:34 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: zfs list -H -o mountpoint
Jul 8 20:32:34 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/pdbedit -d 0 -i smbpasswd:/tmp/tmpibBFNZ -s /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf -e tdbsam:/var/etc/private/passdb.tdb
Jul 8 20:32:34 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/net groupmap add unixgroup='aancheta' ntgroup='aancheta'
Jul 8 20:32:34 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/net groupmap add unixgroup='lwhite' ntgroup='lwhite'
Jul 8 20:32:34 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/net groupmap add unixgroup='homies' ntgroup='homies'
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: OK
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: OK
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: Starting nmbd.
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: Starting smbd.
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: [2014/07/08 20:32:35.516817, 0] ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:485(open_socket_in)
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: bind failed on port 137 socket_addr = 192.168.1.255.
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: Error = Can't assign requested address
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: [2014/07/08 20:32:35.517541, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:127(make_subnet)
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: nmbd_subnetdb:make_subnet()
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: Failed to open nmb bcast socket on interface 192.168.1.255 for port 137. Error was Can't assign requested address
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: [2014/07/08 20:32:35.517838, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(exit_daemon)
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas nmbd[3943]: STATUS=daemon failed to start: NMBD failed when creating subnet lists, error code 13
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas notifier: Starting winbindd.
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas winbindd[3951]: [2014/07/08 20:32:35.751993, 0] ../source3/winbindd/winbindd_cache.c:3196(initialize_winbindd_cache)
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas winbindd[3951]: initialize_winbindd_cache: clearing cache and re-creating with version number 2
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas smbd[3947]: [2014/07/08 20:32:35.772379, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:136(daemon_ready)
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas winbindd[3951]: [2014/07/08 20:32:35.783270, 0] ../lib/util/util.c:282(directory_create_or_exist_strict)
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas winbindd[3951]: invalid permissions on directory '/var/db/samba4/winbindd_privileged': has 0760 should be 0750
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas winbindd[3951]: [2014/07/08 20:32:35.783400, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(exit_daemon)
Jul 8 20:32:35 freenas winbindd[3951]: STATUS=daemon failed to start: Winbindd failed to setup listeners, error code 32

As far as I know nmbd and winbindd are essential for network browsing. I'm determined to fix this problem this time, what can I do next to troubleshoot? Like I said, CIFS appears to start and I can actually see the share by typing the IP address (\\192.168.1.115) in Explorer, but I cannot log in and network browsing is essential for ease of use.

solarisguy

Guru
You guys seem to have very different problems, however, each of you can run a simple check in the Shell: testparm

Also you can try to start anew and only configure one share with the default for everything and then try to start CIFS. Let's see what happens. If that works, then afterwards you can start making changes to CIFS configuration one by one and see what breaks CIFS.

strophy

Dabbler
Thanks solarisguy. I ran testparm and it didn't seem to throw any errors:

[root@freenas] ~# testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[software]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

[global]
dos charset = CP437
server string = FreeNAS Server
server role = standalone server
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
smb passwd file = /var/etc/private/smbpasswd
private dir = /var/etc/private
max log size = 51200
server max protocol = SMB2
time server = Yes
deadtime = 15
max open files = 11070
hostname lookups = Yes
load printers = No
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
pid directory = /var/run/samba
panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
idmap config *:range = 90000000-100000000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
acl allow execute always = Yes
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777
ea support = Yes
directory name cache size = 0
kernel change notify = No
store dos attributes = Yes
strict locking = No

[software]
comment = Shared software
path = /mnt/Storage/software
read only = No
veto files = /.snap/.windows/.zfs/
vfs objects = zfsacl, streams_xattr, aio_pthread
zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = yes
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special
recycle:subdir_mode = 0700
recycle:directory_mode = 0777
recycle:touch = yes
recycle:versions = yes
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
Like I said, this is a totally clean installation with only one share configured, all defaults were used. I have had this error over several versions and several weeks and about 5 reinstallations now, is it at all possible that something external in the network is causing this? That amount of bad luck is just implausible.

solarisguy

Guru
@strophy, an IP address conflict ? Since you have a clean new installation, the source of your problems could be entirely outside of your machine.

Do you assign IP address to your FreeNAS by hand or using DHCP?

I am out of ideas... OK, last one. Take two USB memory devices (> 2GB). Zero both of them and load 9.2.1.6 onto one. Get one more system (I gather that you have at least the FreeNAS and a Windows or *nix client desktop) and start FreeNAS with both USB devices inserted. Hard drive(s) can be removed. Create a ZFS volume/pool on the second USB. Try to share it...

strophy

Dabbler
Hi solarisguy,

IP is assigned by DHCP in the wireless router on my network. It's late in Asia so I'll try your idea early tomorrow if possible. Thanks for the advice!

solarisguy

Guru
Is your FreeNAS hardwired into the router, i.e. connected by a CAT-5e or better cable? Any WiFi extenders ?

strophy

Dabbler
Hi solarisguy,

will do the test with USB stick again this weekend - I tried this back with 9.2.1.5 with no luck. The FreeNAS box is CAT-5e wired to the router. All other network nodes are wireless and networking works fine, I can see and browse all other computers on the Windows workgroup. I've tried using cable instead of wireless to connect my laptop and it works fine, but still can't browse FreenNAS. I've recently attached a second access point upstairs to improve signal, but this problem existed before I did that and that access point only handles WPA security, IPs are assigned by the router downstairs.

Thanks for the ideas! I'll try switching the routers around as well maybe, in case it is some bug with one of them. They are both perfectly capable of dialling my crappy ADSL here.

ksman

Cadet
I finally got CIFS to start. I went back several versions before it would start easily. Then hopped back up to 9.2.1.6. and it would not again. i finally ended up deleting all the various jails that the system had created every time i upgraded software versions of FreeNAS. Then i clicked on it after a long 11 hours of messing with it and it worked. Wish i could explain why it did. Still not showing up on my network so i assume i have a workgroup issue outstanding. Also if your running the plugins under this new jail environment it appears you will have to add your mounted storage to each of the plugin jails. Trying to figure that one out right now.

strophy

Dabbler
Just a quick update from me. I eventually traced my problem to a faulty DHCP server in my router, it was providing an illegal netmask or something which Windows would automatically correct but FreeNAS did not. Found this out by checking all the error messages from Samba output in the terminal. The lesson here is look for the most sketchy component in your network which may be causing problems - in my case a second hand Chinese router.

Thanks for all the help guys, particularly solarisguy for pointing me in the right direction.

solarisguy

Guru
@ strophy, I am glad that you had found the source of your problems. Did you have to change the router?

strophy

Dabbler
Yes, I had to replace the router. It was all the errors nmbd had when getting DHCP addresses, which mysteriously went away when I assigned a static IP, that eventually gave it away. I have no idea what DHCP daemon was running on that router but it sucked - still, the Windows and Mac OS machines didn't croak, so if anybody wants to try to tweak FreeNAS's Samba4 to work well in flaky network situations, get in touch and we can look at it more.

As an aid to to others seeing the same symptoms and to offload my memory... Here are my findings:
1.) Make sure your reverse DNS lookup is properly working (I got mine broken during a router update at the time I was doing the FreeNAS update 9.2.1.6 to 9.2.1.7). This made my non-home shares writable again.
2.) Make sure the directory "/var/db/samba4/winbindd_privileged" and its contents has the proper owner (root). This made my home share mountable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.