CIFS cannot be started message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symatree

Cadet
Hi folks, I have searched the support forumns high and low for similarly related issues which there does appear to be several, none of which I have been able to follow successfully because they appear to have a different contributing factor in the end.

I have been using freenas 9.2.1.5 for a couple of months now and all of a sudden my SMB shares stopped responding, `The server may be exist or it is unavailable at this time.` I tried several fixes to no avail and finally updated to 9.2.1.7 as it also updates samba, this unfortunately made no difference either.

The following is my messages log after an attempt to start CIFS.

Code:
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/sysctl -n 'kern.maxfilesperproc'                 
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: zfs list -H -o mountpoint,name                         
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: zfs list -H -o mountpoint                              
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/pdbedit -d 0 -i smbpasswd:/tmp/tmpwG4T87
-s /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf -e tdbsam:/var/etc/private/passdb.tdb                                                                  
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/net groupmap list                       
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/bin/getent passwd 'transmission'                  
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/bin/getent passwd 'simon'                         
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/bin/getent passwd 'emma'                          
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).                                           
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas notifier: Stopping smbd.                                                                                       
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas notifier: Waiting for PIDS: 7455.                                                                              
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).                                                   
Aug 24 10:50:39 nas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED 

What is weird is the samba configuration failing, because if I run `testparm /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf` it appears to work fine.

Code:
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[media]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: lock directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: state directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: cache directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated, I just cannot figure out what it is that has failed to stop samba/CIFS from working anymore, and for Network Storage it's a little counter productive ;)

esamett

Patron
Not sure if this is the same but I had a problem like this. It ended up that I had corrupted the permissions of my volume root directory with windows ACLs. The quick fix is to add another drive and make a separate volume. Any tiny old drive will do. Then go to settings->system dataset and set the system dataset pool to that new volume. Do not change the permissions on the new volume. CIFS should work now. The problem relates to SAMBA 4 needing to store files on a volume which is a new thing.

Going forward I was advised to not change the permissions on the volume but to add datasets as needed and change permissions on them. To fix the permissions on your current volume is beyond my knowledge. I had to move my data around, then destroy and recreate my volume to make things right.

good luck

Symatree

Cadet
Thanks esamett, this is the conclusion I have came to over the past 24 hours, I am now in the process or backing up my data and am already waiting with a new install of Freenas 9.2.1.7 on a USB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.