Chicken & egg problem booting a fresh Linux VM -- Chicken wants to lay a new egg...

nicholas-h

Dabbler
I know I'm doing something wrong here, but my new Linux VM (tried MX Linux and OpenSUSE) keeps booting back into the installer image and wants to re-install linux back onto the VM. At least MX Linux has a "rescue" option that lets me boot a different partition and point to the right efi boot image, but it's a lot of clicks to get there every time I reboot. I basically need to "unplug" the original iso image much as you would unplug that USB stick if you installed Linux from a bootable USB stick.

When I create my VM, I'm given two choices: (1) Upload the ISO (which I get repeated access-denied errors after hours of trying various things), or (2) point to the ISO, which is my only working option after having provided libvirt-qemu access to my local machine's download folder (where I downloaded the ISO to on my main PC). So the install goes perfectly after using option (2) but when I reboot the VM, it wants to use that ISO again and I end up back into re-installing linux.

How do I "unplug" that ISO installer image now that the install is done?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Delete the corresponding device from the VM?

nicholas-h

Dabbler
There is no extra device or partition. There is only one dataset created under my vm datasets for MX Linux. The VM has no option to choose a partition to set as the default boot partition. There is some memory of the ISO--as if the ISO is being used as-is on the VM as opposed to only being used temporarily to create the VM. In other words, if I installed this somewhere else completely, then created an image of that machine and saved it as an ISO image, it would be fine, but this is a matter of starting with an ISO image and wanting to dispose (somehow) of that ISO image after the installation is done. I cannot imagine this is not literally the same issue everyone is having when using an ISO boot image. I cannot find any documentation on this issue. There is no concept of unplugging the boot device as there is no "device" so to speak when choosing an ISO image to create the VM.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You misunderstand. @Patrick M. Hausen is telling you to delete the CD drive device from the VM after installation. Either that or change the boot order in the VM so it boots from the hard drive device.

nicholas-h

Dabbler
You misunderstand. @Patrick M. Hausen is telling you to delete the CD drive device from the VM after installation. Either that or change the boot order in the VM so it boots from the hard drive device.
Virtual Machine Devices. :) Found it, and this worked thank you!

May I suggest adding a "Things to do after installing a VM..." wiki? Sorry if that exists and I did not find that :)

nicholas-h

Dabbler
...last I used a CDROM was possibly 10 years ago so the idea of unmounting or deleting a CDROM when starting with a digital ISO was not on my mind. LOL However, it would be useful to have an option to choose what default device to boot a VM from (sort of a BIOS for the VM). In other words, a "set as default boot device" in the "..." menu of the Devices list.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
May I suggest adding a "Things to do after installing a VM..." wiki? Sorry if that exists and I did not find that :)

It already exists.

See step 4.

PackElend

Explorer
did you succeed?

I tried to install as well. I had to repeat the install a couple of time until is succeeded (regardless the boot mode). Quite often it suddenly rebooted.
Even connecting to using build in VNC caused mx to spontaneously log out.

I installed:
MX-23.1_x64 “ahs”, an “Advanced Hardware Support” release for very recent hardware, with 6.4 kernel and newer graphics drivers and firmware. 64 bit only. For newer hardware.

@nicholas-h, what hardware setting do you use?