Cheap homemade NAS for plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansem

Dabbler
I at all guys!
I want to build a cheap nas for plex, and maybe a small virtual machine for an email server.
I was thinking about this configuration:
-pentium g4400 (for h265)
-msi b150 eco /gigabyte GA-b150m-hd3/asrock b150M pro4S
-4gb of ram
- 2x WD red 4TB in raid1 (I'll add later more couple of hard drive for more raid1)
The main question is: why freenas need 8gb of ram? Aren't 4GB enough for a simpy configuration like mine?
As i said I only need:
-torrent
-share folder
-little VM with 512 of ram for email server.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Ansem

Dabbler
So I can't even install freenas on a system with 4GB of ram? it's not a big deal, 8gb are like 9€ more than 4gb, so it's fine.
All the other things are fine instead?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So I can't even install freenas on a system with 4GB of ram?
Yes, you can, but don't expect the system to be stable, reliable, or safe for your data. If you're going to be running Plex, you should really plan on 16 GB instead--8 GB is the minimum for a basic system, and Plex is pretty hungry.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your motherboard selection is not going to work. You need a server type motherboard, gaming motherboard use cheaper parts that usually don't work correctly.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's correct to say the motherboard won't work. In all likelihood it will work, but it won't be optimal for stability or data integrity (no ECC).

Ansem

Dabbler
man, as I said, it need to be cheap. Those motherboard are already too much expensive.
here people are talking about 16gb of ram WTF, not even my desktop have them!
for the entire nas I can't spend more thane 200€, and I have already passed them.
The question is: can freenas run on this configuration with 8gb, or I need to go for other OS like OMV or debian?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
man, as I said, it need to be cheap. Those motherboard are already too much expensive.
here people are talking about 16gb of ram WTF, not even my desktop have them!
for the entire nas I can't spend more thane 200€, and I have already passed them.
The question is: can freenas run on this configuration with 8gb, or I need to go for other OS like OMV or debian?

I think 200€ is an unrealistic price point for a NAS with any sort of redundancy (and new drives). You're firmly in WD mycloud territory at that price. If you bother to read up on how ZFS works, you'd understand why it needs lots of RAM. Extra services (like torrents, plex, etc.) bump up system requirements. Take a stab at OMV.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and really, this is 2016. 8 GB of RAM is not a ridiculous requirement. Even 16 GB is not an insane amount of RAM--heck, my three-year-old laptop has that much. You aren't going to get that in a new $200 machine, though. FreeNAS is designed to be a file server; it isn't designed to be installed on dirt-cheap, bottom-end castoff hardware.

Will Plex run in 8 GB? Probably. But I doubt it will run well in the long term.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The main question is: why freenas need 8gb of ram? Aren't 4GB enough for a simpy configuration like mine?
FreeNAS adds a layer on top of what the OS would normally need. So in addition to a healthy amount of RAM required for ZFS, you also have the FreeNAS middleware RAM requirement. And then you add in Plex (and you say a VM?).

Here's a completely idle system with 8GB of RAM. It's a backup system, no shares. I installed plex just to see the RAM requirements. Plex isn't doing anything. And the nas isn't doing anything. I can't imagine dropping this to 4GB and expecting it to run.
upload_2016-5-17_9-38-52.png

Ansem

Dabbler
FreeNAS adds a layer on top of what the OS would normally need. So in addition to a healthy amount of RAM required for ZFS, you also have the FreeNAS middleware RAM requirement. And then you add in Plex (and you say a VM?).

Here's a completely idle system with 8GB of RAM. It's a backup system, no shares. I installed plex just to see the RAM requirements. Plex isn't doing anything. And the nas isn't doing anything. I can't imagine dropping this to 4GB and expecting it to run.
View attachment 11792
Thanks a lot for you answer! i'll definitevely go for 8GB still an idle system with plex use a little more than 2GB of ram, why peole is telling me that for sharing a folder and using plex i need more than 3gb of ram? does plex and sharing folder use more than 4gb?!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks a lot for you answer! i'll definitevely go for 8GB still an idle system with plex use a little more than 2GB of ram, why peole is telling me that for sharing a folder and using plex i need more than 3gb of ram? does plex and sharing folder use more than 4gb?!

You need to realize there is more to the entire operating system than 'Plex and sharing folder'

You think the FreeNAS web GUI works on empty promises and hope?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
why peole is telling me that for sharing a folder and using plex i need more than 3gb of ram?
Because those people have experience and they are trying to share it with you. You can choose to ignore it but that of course is your choice and you do so at your peril.

Linkman

Patron
From one near newbie to another, the reason for using FreeNAS and ZFS is redundancy and data security. If you're not interested in that, and just need a NAS to use as a media server, than ZFS may not be for you. No worries, there are plenty of other choices, like OpenMediaVault, that would be happier on your hardware than FreeNAS. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.