BUILD Changing mainboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBarker

Contributor
I am considering moving forward with some changes to my existing system. I would like to use the following motherboard/RAM with most of my existing components with some changes:

ASRock D1520D4I D-1520 Xeon
2 X Crucial CT16G4RFD4213 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 2133 for 32 gigs of ECC RAM
2 X WD WD60EFRX 6TB Red drives
MyDigitalSSD 16GB Super Boot Drive 42mm SATA III (6G) M.2 2242 NGFF SSD as the boot drive

What I would like to do is to swap the WD drives one at a time for the Seagates I am using as mirrored drives and then install the motherboard and RAM along with the boot drive to run the system. Eventually would like to use the 2 Seagate drives in another mirrored pool as additional storage and back up in this system.

Thoughts?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Eventually would like to use the 2 Seagate drives in another mirrored pool as additional storage and back up in this system.
Thoughts?
Given the reputation of that model of Seagate drive, I would plan to retire them ASAP.

BBarker

Contributor
Given the reputation of that model of Seagate drive, I would plan to retire them ASAP.

That bad huh? I have used them in other applications without any issues but do have to admit I am more of a WD fan. I still need to transfer the data from them to the WD Red drives so there is that. The second pool that I would use them for wouldn't really be for any critical data anyway.

AVB

Contributor
I've got 14 of those drives spread out across 4 different machines and I've had one go bad in 3 years although a 2nd one is looking a bit sketchy on the reallocated sector count but still within tolerance. YMMV. I've also had one Toshiba and one WD go down in the same amount of time too so I'm not particular about what drive I muck up.

BBarker

Contributor
The current status of this has changed somewhat.

I use my NAS for Plex and typically stream to one or more devices over a wired network. Occasional usage via internet so there is some transcoding going on due to the variety of devices in my family and where the content is viewed. It is also used for Transmission and SABNZBD and to back up files from my personal pc and laptop. I was able to purchase 2 Seagate 6TB Enterprise Capacity (ST6000NM0024) for $230 each delivered instead of the WD Reds. I like the 5 year warranty they come with and thought this was a pretty good deal.

My questions have to do with the mainboard change and the options available. Eventually I would like to run one pool with the 6TB drives mirrored for my plugins, another with the existing 3TB drives mirrored (for random backup and files available only to me) and a 3rd mirrored pool using SSDs for jails and .system files. All options will use the same RAM, 2 x Kingston 8gb DDR4 2133 UDIMMs (KVR21E15D8/8HA) for 16gb total.

Option #1: ASRock D1520D4I D-1520 Xeon (45 watt TDP). This board can eventually accommodate all the drives and also use the M.2 slot for a 7th PCIe drive as a boot device if necessary but would just use a USB drive in the meantime. It also has an integrated IPMI which I am not sure is a benefit even though I will be running this unit headless I don't really mess with it that much. $439 delivered

Option #2: Asrock C236 WSI socket 1151 with a Xeon E5-1225 v5 processor @ 3.3 GHz and 80 watt TDP. This board has 8 SATA ports so handles all my needs for drive capacity and has an internal USB 3.0 port for the USB boot device. It can be had for $378 delivered. I am also curious about using the Xeon E5-1235L v5 at 2.0 GHz and 25 watts TDP instead....slower processor but much lower energy usage but I think it would be more than sufficient to do what I need but it will be $44 more.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.