SOLVED Hard drive not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

petoniano

Dabbler
Hi, i'm total noob to FreeNAS. I've just purchased my components to make a FreeNAS server.

They are:
Mobo : Asrock E3C236D2I
Memory: Kingston: model KVR21E15D8/16 16Gb
CPU: Intel i3 7100
CASE: Fractal Design Node 304
PSU: Seasonic focus + 550
HDDs: 2 x 4TB WD red.
Boot: Sandisk cruzer fit 2.0 32 Gb.

I planned to create a Z volume with my two hard disk mirrored but the system sometimes detect one hard drive and sometimes two.

My BIOS when I reboot the system changes detecting sometimes one and sometimes two.

I don't know what to do. I think the drives are well plugged. And powered with the same double sata cable from the modular PSU.

Thank you
petoniano

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Set the "Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T" to Enabled..
Also, try connecting these drives to port 0 and 1. Some boards are peculiar about not detecting the drives if the first port isn't used.
Z volume with my two hard disk mirrored
You are planning to do that in FreeNAS, not through some system board setting.

petoniano

Dabbler
thank you very much.

I've tried but no luck. Now plugged to sata 0 and 1, but now sometimes detects two and most times only one.

I hope it's not a hardware failure.

Redcoat

MVP
Try plugging in a single drive only at a time and move it around on ports and cable plugs, then same with other drive and search for some consistent behavior in order to identify bad mobo port, bad cable(s), or bad drive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
thank you very much.

I've tried but no luck. Now plugged to sata 0 and 1, but now sometimes detects two and most times only one.

I hope it's not a hardware failure.
We had another user recently with a problem like this that eventually found it was a bad power supply connector.
Have you switched the cable that is powering these drives?

petoniano

Dabbler
Thank for your replies. I tried another power cable. Finally y returned the drive to the seller and replaced with a new one that worked perfectly. I suppose the first one was defective.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.