Change RAID controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dniq

Explorer
So, it seems that there's an issue with the Dell PERC H310 controller, when it's in JBOD mode, where the performance of SSD drives is severely affected. Dell support said that the issue only manifests when the controller in the JBOD mode.

Hence my question: if I configure it as a RAID instead of JBOD, where all existing hard drives would be converted to a single-disk RAID0 - will FreeNAS recognize them as members of zpool or will I have to backup all the data, recreate the zpool and then restore the data from the backup?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You will have to destroy the pool and recreate using backup.

Skynet3020

Dabbler
Hi, i know it is an old post but i have a similar question about this.

i have 7 disk and all are cofigured as RAID0 with a HP P410 controller these card give some smartctl problems etc.
Anyway i want to change to another controller and is it possible to use my zpool data with a new controller ?

my second question is, what is the best controller with 8 ports i was looking but not found a helpful information..

i think about:
LSI Host Bus Adapter SAS 9211-8i
or
LSI Host Bus Adapter SAS 9207-8i

or have anyone a better idea ?
the other thing is i use only SATA drive no SAS

thanks 4 helping :)

Mr_N

Patron
when any sort of hw raid is involved i'd say its unlikely you'll be able to change to a HBA without recreating your pool...

Skynet3020

Dabbler
ok thanks, that's sad because it is TBs of data :(

but can anyone tells me the best controller ? i need 2cards with 8port i have 15 sata drives

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The LSI 9211-8i is the benchmark. Some people buy IBM M1015 or Dell H200/H310 units and replace the firmware, because the hardware is equivalent.

Skynet3020

Dabbler
for info at my post#4
My 15 HDDs are managed in ZFS by FreeNAS.

Now I have changed my old controllers (adaptec 5805 + HP P410) to 2x LSI 9211-8i I reconnect all drives on the new HBA and "wow" all zfs are here and working fine.
I think it's because I didn't use the internal raid config from the cards and all is managed by FreeNAS. So this way you can change the HBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
for info at my post#4
My 15 HDDs are managed in ZFS by FreeNAS.

Now I have changed my old controllers (adaptec 5805 + HP P410) to 2x LSI 9211-8i I reconnect all drives on the new HBA and "wow" all zfs are here and working fine.
I think it's because I didn't use the internal raid config from the cards and all is managed by FreeNAS. So this way you can change the HBA.
Yep, you also lucked that the raid card didn't do anything silly under the covers. Sometimes that happens.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.