Dell PERC H710P and ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dniq

Explorer
So, since the PERC H310 is crap, our Dell rep offered to upgrade it to PERC H710P, which doesn't support JBOD, and I'll have to configure each individual disk as a separate RAID0.

So the question is, since my zpool is, basically, RAID10, does it make sense to configure 12 separate RAID0 and let ZFS do the job of creating RAID10, or maybe just set up the RAID10 for all 12 drives right in the H710P? Or, alternatively, set up 6xRAID1 in H710P and then let ZFS stripe across them?

In fact, does FreeNAS even support H710P? The FreeNAS itself boots from an SD card.

aufalien

Patron
You want to give ZFS raw access to your drives for most reliable/optimal expectations. If it were me, I'd insist on finding a JBOD scenario w/o exception.

aufalien

Patron
Perfect, never had issues with it, I've used em plenty. For best practice, flash its IT firmware to phase 16 as that's what the FreeNAS driver is at. Some one correct me if I'm wrong on the version.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Perfect, never had issues with it, I've used em plenty. For best practice, flash its IT firmware to phase 16 as that's what the FreeNAS driver is at. Some one correct me if I'm wrong on the version.

9.2.1 is on v16, which IIRC is the latest version available for FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.