Cant run an .exe from NAS dir. Permissions issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dataset for my downloads, permissions are set to read/write/execute to all.

Ive got the Tor browser bundle in the downloads folder, but when i try to run it it encounters a problem saying a profile is 'inaccessible'.

If i move the Tor dir to my local HDD it'll run fine.

I can create/delete files in the downloads dir without a problem.

Does this sound like some kind of permissions issue or am i being an idiot? :confused:

Well Ive sussed it if anyones interested or comes across this in the future.

Its not a permissions problem, its a windows being tardy problem :rolleyes:

It wasnt liking the UNC path name to the downloads folder when running the .exe.

I mapped the downloads location as a mapped drive, then used the drive letter path instead.

Now it all runs as it should.

JaimieV

Guru
Ha! Thanks for the followup, I tried but couldn't work out why it might be doing that.

If I recall correctly, it's not so much Windows but the app itself that gets confused by its lack of a drive letter. Windows uses UNC paths internally for pretty much everything, and doesn't mind stuff being off on the network; apps might be written stupidly or unknowingly use a stupidly written library/runtime that can't handle anything except 1980's-era drive letter paths.

If you're feeling strongly motivated you could log a bug against the Tor browser bundle.

Yeah I might well log it with Tor, but it turns out Windows command prompt "does not support UNC paths as current directories", so it might be that rather than Tor its self.

JaimieV

Guru
Oh, yeah - if there's a batch file there to launch stuff or tie things together, that'll fall over. Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.