Having a hard time as newbie to FreeNAS/Unix and File-Permissions. Where am I?

FreeSAN

Cadet
Hello ,
I am new in this forum and i have some trouble using the FreeNAS-server a friend installed for me.
Since english is not my native language im not shure whether the text is readable. But I hope so. Maybe me english is not so bad,

First of all:
-I use Linux on 2 Computers an I have also some trouble using it properly
-I dont know what backgroundinformation(about the systems) is relevant to the subject
-I am not shure whether the problem is on the FreeNAS, my other computers oder maybe the user (me) is the issue.
-I think i made things too complicated and since i rather try different things i read on the internet without knowing what I am doing,
i tend to make things worse
-maybe my final aim is too complicated (aim= run kodi maybe on RaspberryPi, connect to cellphone for remote control and connect to FreeNAS and TV/projector)

Did I find the right forum for such questions like below?
Are those seperate questions or are those issues linked together?

So a friend installed the FreeNAS system in my network

What info do you need about the FreeNAS?
Build: FreeNAS-11.1-U5

I have a Desktop-computer (4.9.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.88-1+deb9u1 (2018-05-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux)
and a laptop-Computer (4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux) (and a partition with Win7)

on both debian OS, there is a User "user1" and i want both of them (and other users) to be able to copy files and directories to and from the FreeNAS.
Right now i can't exactly explain what is going wrong, but often I try dt copy, move or delete files on the FreeNAS (graphical with caja as GUI) but i seem not to have the right permissions.

Might it be a problem to have 2 times the same username in the same network?

If I try to move a file from dir1 to dir2 on the NAS, it says: "permission denied" (which permission? My permission to move (/create?) Files on the NAS-directories?
I think I am the owner of those files and directories but i don't have the right permission? How can i tell which user1 is the owner of the file if any of those users is the owner.

If I try to look up the permissions for a directory "on the NAS" via Caja, it says " The permissions of "directoryname"could not be determined
where do I have to look for the problem/solution?

On the FreeNAS webuserinterface it says at "sharing":
UNIS(NFS):(path)
/mnt/data/media
/mnt/data/backups
/mntdata/home

WebDAV: (sharename)
media

Windows(SMB) :(path)
/mnt/data/media

and some of those directories are likley to be a duplicate of an other one.

How do I list those files and directories with their UNIX-Permissions via the shell? (ls -l /path) What is the path?

Can a user have all permissions (rwx) for a subdirectory like /dir/subdir
without having those permissions for /dir ?

Last edited:

FreeSAN

Cadet
Were you able to resolve this?

no, I was not able to solve those problems.
I think there are many more problems on my computers and my computer-home-network. I guess those need to be solved first, so i put my freenas problems to the end of my todo/problems-to-solve-list.

to nikalai2: thanks for the link to the thread, but as explained above: first things first and having a working freenas seems like "luxury" to me.