SOLVED cant remove folder rm -rf gives device or resource busy

Kind of a bit of a weird one for me. Using TrueNAS Scale 22.02.0.1 I had some issues with permissions in SABNzbD. fought that for a little while and decided just to scrap and rebuild my downloads folder.

Problem is, i cant for some reason.
Ive tried rm -rf for the folder, ive tried stopping all apps and making sure nothing was accessing the folder, ive tried lsof +D /downloads, with no results (like nothing is accessing the folder), ive tried unmounting the path (its not mounted), ived tried fuser /downloads to see if any user is accessing it (no one is)... im kind of running out of tricks here :)

i should point out, the folder is currently empty.

Any ideas?

Oh man, sometimes you just need to repeatedly hit yourself in the head with a hammer until the answer comes...

I had the folder created as a dataset. THAT is why i couldnt just CLI delete it. Not sure why it wouldnt flag the folder as in use by the system or root user though...

grizzco

Cadet
Thank you for posting this! Otherwise, I would have never figured it out. It's nice to know I'm not the only one to ever had this issue.

Oh man, sometimes you just need to repeatedly hit yourself in the head with a hammer until the answer comes...

I had the folder created as a dataset. THAT is why i couldnt just CLI delete it. Not sure why it wouldnt flag the folder as in use by the system or root user though...
Also, thank you for posting this. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on. This immediately fixed my issues. I can't even remember setting my folder up as a Dataset. lol

Simuman

Cadet
Thx, guess I'm not the only one pulling hair out, not that I've got that much left. :smile:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
A quick tip for cases where FS operations through shell aren't working as expected, try df -Th <path>

Code:
root@carl[~]# df -Th /mnt/dozer/SHARE/ix-applications
Filesystem                  Type  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dozer/SHARE/ix-applications zfs   755M  5.4M  750M   1% /mnt/dozer/SHARE/ix-applications

This shows the FS mounted under the path as well as usage info.

Code:
root@carl[~]# df -Th /mnt/dozer/SHARE/Finder\ Refresh.app
Filesystem     Type  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dozer/SHARE    zfs   793M   44M  749M   6% /mnt/dozer/SHARE

The Filesystem is your ZFS dataset name, which you can use to investigate properties.