Can't log in to GUI as "root" with correct password after upgrade from Angelfish to Bluefin

Rumen Petrov

Cadet
Hi everybody, I am a new member, so please bear with me. :)
First thing I want to say that TrueNAS SCALE is awesome, this forum saved me multiple times and I learned a ton reading your comments, thanks for that.
Unfortunately, I have a problem that I can't find a solution yet. I am using TrueNAS SCALE since the alpha beta release without any major problems so far. Before a couple of days, I decided to upgrade to the new Bluefin release candidate. The upgrade process when without issue, but after the server boot up again, I was not able to log in to the GUI with my correct password. How I know it is correct? I am using password manager.

The things I tried:
  • To validate that my password is correct
    • I check that my keyboard works
    • I manually typed it by making sure that each letter is added and I am using the correct language
    • copy/paste
    • I Reverted back to Angel fish image from the boot menu and the GUI was working using the same password
  • Check for problems with the user configuration (on Angel fish)
    • My user has password and it is not disabled
    • I keep it locked but I also tried to unlock it and I still had the problem after upgrade
    • After the upgrade, I tried to manually change the root password by using another admin user through SSH, still can't login
    • I tried to change my password using the TrueNAS CLI (option 7, I think) on the server directly, it did not allow me to do it

Extra information:
* Updated from "TrueNAS-22.02.4" to "TrueNAS-22.12-RC.1" by switching trains
* My root user
Code:
Password Disabled:false
Lock User:true // It is not working even if this is false
Permit Sudo:false
Microsoft Account:false // I don't have Windows PCs in my network
Samba Authentication:false

sMau3110

Cadet
I can confirm the issue in a similar way
Also upgraded from 22.02.4 to 22.12-RC.1. Afterwards it is impossible to login in the webinterface using my definitely correct password for "root". Always stating "Username or Password is incorrect.".
However, I could change the root password using the TrueNAS CLI with display and keyboard but even after change, the error persists.

sMau3110

Cadet
That is what I meant by referring to TrueNAS CLI. Sorry for the miswording on my end. It lets me changing the password, at least showing a success message but it does not fix the issue. Tried it several times, with and without reboot, easy and not-so-easy passwords. The error persists.
SSH login to root user is working using pubkey auth.

Rumen Petrov

Cadet
I can confirm what sMau3110 said about the CLI. The same behavior on my side.

Daisuke

Contributor
That is what I meant by referring to TrueNAS CLI. Sorry for the miswording on my end.
No worries, option 7 Open Linux Shell:
Code:
# getent passwd root
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/usr/bin/zsh
# chage -l root
Last password change                    : May 15, 2020
Password expires                    : never
Password inactive                    : never
Account expires                        : never
Minimum number of days between password change        : 0
Maximum number of days between password change        : 99999
Number of days of warning before password expires    : 7

Just making sure you did not endup with a /usr/sbin/nologin as shell or inactive password, please post the output. If is the wrong shell or chage info does not match, run:
Code:
# usermod -s /usr/bin/zsh root
# chage -I -1 -m 0 -M 99999 -E -1 root

then login into your Web UI and and change password to root user, making sure all fields and options are as below (email is needed only if you want to receive TrueNAS alerts to your email, you need to set the SMTP settings also). This will make all changes permanent.

1670480744663.png

Last edited:
Thank you I've had to prevent back to Angelfish about 4 times now, due to not being able to login. For anyone else with the same issue. I had Disabled Password set to Yes for the root user.

Angelfish has been set up and working for awhile without issue, but switching to No fixed Bluefin login issues.

Daisuke

Contributor
That means Angelfish is not respecting the password option. If you disable password, you should not be able to login with password. Is good this was fixed in Bluefin, the above mentioned method will allow you to change the root user.

@Maester_Luwin, it would’ve been useful to post the chage command with password disabled so we know exactly the differences.

Last edited:

exodus454

Dabbler
I'm also having login issues.

It seems like immediately after upgrading everything works correctly and I can log back in with all users like normal. Then as the system runs I can't login from my phone, although my laptop stays logged in.

After rebooting I can't login with ANY users, although ssh is still working.

All the users just show "username or password is incorrect"

All my users are definitely not set to nologin (I checked through ssh), I also just changed my root password, and another user password, it still seems to not be working.

Any ideas?

Rumen Petrov

Cadet
Alright, this is how I solved the problem on my side.
  • I checked in details the update documentation and especially the known issues section
  • I made sure that I have administrator user different form root which is in the correct user groups, I used this.
  • I made sure none of my public shared path is overlapping with a path that a certain app is using in order not to have problems with docker.
  • I did an upgrade again from "TrueNAS-22.02.4" to "TrueNAS-22.12-0"
  • After the upgrade I wasn't able to log in as root but I was able to log in with my other admin account
  • Using the other admin account, I changed the root user "Locked User" checkmark (local user settings page) from true to false
  • I was able to log in using the root account
  • I made the root user locked again because I am not planning to use it for the GUI

Last edited: