Bluefin upgrade problems, including backup credentials

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I upgraded to Truenas Scale Bluefin yesterday, and it caused some problems; so I ended up reinstalling Angelfish from bootable media and restoring my configuration. The first "problem" is not really a problem but is something to be aware of. After installing Bluefin, there were warning messages that the root user has their password disabled and requesting that a separate user be created for web admin purposes. There are other threads about this, so I won't go into detail here. I understand that this is being done for security reasons and to pass muster when it comes to industry standards, and it was easy for me to deal with it. I created a user, whom I added to admin and root groups, as is recommended in the online guides. However, before anyone upgrades to Bluefin, I'd recommend that you at least be aware of this.

The much bigger problem was with cloud backup credentials. Backblaze credential verification failed after the upgrade, and cloud backups couldn't run. I was unable to fix this. Even creating a new Backblaze cloud credential and re-entering my information still resulted in verification failure. I have no idea why this happened, but I suspect it had something to do with the warnings about root user having their password disabled. However, creating a new user in the admin and root group, and logging into the web UI again, didn't fix the problem of failed cloud credential verification.

So, as noted, I downgraded to Angelfish by reinstalling from bootable media and restoring my configuration. After that, everything worked again, including cloud credential verification.

If anyone knows what's causing cloud credential verification failure after the upgrade, I'd appreciate your thoughts, because I now am not sure when I'll upgrade to Bluefin again and will probably wait at least a few months.

Last edited:

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Daisuke thanks for the information. Based on the few hours that I had Bluefin installed, I can say that I liked it, especially the Dataset manager which is a new feature. However, it does seem that there is some fine-tuning that needs to be done with it. So, I'm glad I downgraded to Angelfish and will wait a few months before upgrading to Bluefin again.