Can't connect over internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob1

Dabbler
Hi,

After trubles of yesterday I have the DIY freeNAS up and running.
I watch the introduction video "introduction to freeNAS" 2 times.
I have a drive that I can access over my home network. I see it in windows explorer and set up FTP.
So far so good. But I can't access it over the internet. According to the video I did things okay. So what am I missing.

I have the following: a fritzbox with a static IP, the IP adress of the NAS is 192.168.178.39
When I enter this IP in a browser I get the inlog screen of FreeNAS. All okay.
When I do this on my smart phone, with WIFI off, I get the message that the site doesn't exist.
When I turn on WIFI it's okay again.

Can't find a simular problem in this forum, so it must be me.
What do I miss?

Please, explane in a simple way for me, it's al new.

Regards,
Rob.

Nindustries

Patron
Hi, and welcome to freenas.
The IP your server gets from your router is only working within your home network, it's a feature that's called NAT. (Network Adress Translation)

So in order for you to connect to your server, we need to tell your router to forward all incoming traffic on port X to your server. You'll also need to register for a (free) Dynamic DNS (dynDNS) address, for example at no-ip. That way, you can connect to your server using for example "MyHomeServer.no-ip.com". Afterwards, setup the dyndns in your Freenas settings (search the manual) and setup port-forwarding in your router.

I'm actually not sure if dyndns is needed if you already got a static ip, but a webaddress is prettier anyway.

I'm sure there are tutorials about this, but you needed to know what to look for first ofcourse! :D

- Sent from mobile.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You won't need it if you have a static IP. It won't hurt though.

And don't assume you ahve a static IP because it hasn't changed in the last few days. It may still be dynamic, your current lease may just keeps getting renewed giving the impression that you have a static IP.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
All seems working properly now. I have now a DynDNS at no-ip.org. I had to figure out where to put everyting in FreeNAS and my fritsbox 7340 and opend some ports. Now I'm able to enter the FreeNAS from internet too. :)

You don't have a DynDNS at no-ip.org. That's like saying you have a Microsoft at Ubuntu.com. DynDNS is a company, just like no-ip.org is a company too.

I think what you meant to say is that you have a dynamic DNS entry at no-ip.org. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
/spank Nindustries

Bad boy :P

Whattteva

Wizard
Lol, someone is trying to broadcast their FreeNAS web admin GUI to the Inter-webs!

Whattteva

Wizard
Lol, I find it funnier that Cyberjock and Nindustries actually helped him through the process instead of discouraging him from doing so......... :confused::eek:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've already given up trying to give smart advice. It's all in stickies and if the OP is anything like some people in the IRC chat a week or so ago, if you say they should use a VPN vice forwarding ports they'll want you to provide security reports outlining that FreeNAS is unsafe on the internet and then they'll expect FreeNAS to fix them. The reality is that you shouldn't assume something is safe unless its deemed unsafe, but rather that everything should be deemed unsafe until verified safe.

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid, and some people aren't going to use a VPN if port forwarding "will work".

Whattteva

Wizard
I completely understand you man. You have a lot of patience and my hats off to you for that quality.
I mean, you take a lot of flak from people, especially in virtualization topics, but you still manage to keep your cool.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't always keep my cool. LOL. I've told people off a few times. Now I just close the Firefox tab and pretend that people really aren't that incompetent.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
@OP, what is your password for your FreeNAS box? Would like to show you why you shouldn't make it publicly accessible. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.