What port does the webgui use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob1

Dabbler
Hi,

The following is the case; first al was more or less okay. For whatever reason I can't access the webgui from outside my home network anymore. I tested with opening several ports (know to me), no result. Then I found the out that it is possible to open all ports at once in bij router (fritzbox7340) to the NAS. Now it's posible again to access the webgui form outside my home network. All ports are closed now ;) and I have now access anymore. I surced for the webgui port but cant find it, meaning, the ports I've seen on forums and manuals and so on, don't work when opened.

There is the possebilety I did something in the FreeNAS and don't know that I did it. But if so, what did I do?

So I need some help.

Regards,
Rob.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Its port 80, but do you realize how stupid it is to open that port up to the outside world? Do you realize how stupid it is to expose your entire nas to the internet? Please don't do this. There is simply no need for such a thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

phoenix

Explorer
The default configuration is port 80 (for http access) unless you've set it to port 443 (for https access), you really should set it to that. There is also the possibility to change the port to something else but you have to deliberately do that, check in the Admin GUI Settings tab. I'd suggest that even with https access it's not a good idea to access your file server from the internet, try using a VPN into your LAN (if you must).

Rob1

Dabbler
@pirateghost, I know opening all ports is not wise. This was just for testing. Like I said, firs a working connection to the webGUI over internet. Now not anymore.

@Phoenix, do you know is there is a way to see with what port the FreeNAS is communicating when I open al ports?

Problem is, I leave for a holiday and hoped that the NAS was completly up and running. I like a the DIY stuf. But i'm running out of time. With accesing the webGUI over internet I have the possibilety to have the IT guy at work take al kook at it.

Problem on internet is that most of the time you find something (not just about networking) that the is written by somebody that understands all about it and asumes that the reader has the basics + of it.
I have basics - ;)

phoenix

Explorer
How about using nmap to confirm what ports are open on your FreeNAS box? This should do it:

Code:
nmap -sS -O <ip_of_freenas>

gpsguy

If you can't use a VPN connection, consider doing a "webex" or something similar to allow the IT guy to access your computer and you can work with him.

Sent from my phone

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Teamviewer is free and it works well. So does logmein

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

hawksight

Cadet
Can you give a small explanation as to why this is so drastically unsecure? (just brief and I can go away and read up more)

I had thought of using SSL certificates to verify authentication and setting up to only allow certain IP's / users .. would this be enough in your eyes?

norskman

Contributor
if you want to use it as a remote store, consider using he owncloud plugin. Its great. It works and is muc h more secure. There are apps for apple devices, PC's and everything in between. Your friends and family can share as well.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Can you give a small explanation as to why this is so drastically unsecure? (just brief and I can go away and read up more)

I had thought of using SSL certificates to verify authentication and setting up to only allow certain IP's / users .. would this be enough in your eyes?

SSL cert is not going to do a damn thing for your SSH protocol. Leaving port 22 open without requiring SSH keys is like leaving the deadbolt locked on your door, but leaving the window open next to the door...pretty easy for someone to just reach in and open the door to what they want.

Do a little research on the most common attack vectors by hackers. You will see a common theme and standard set of ports that they love to play with....And if you think 'I am not a target for hackers', you obviously do not use a firewall on your network that tracks hits. My firewall logs are filled with script kiddies trying to break through, as well as bots (mostly in China and Russia/Ukraine).

I find it odd that so many folks concern themselves with what the NSA can monitor, yet will leave their home networks wide open for attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.