cant access CIFS share windows 7 x64 freeNAS 9.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevem1986

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Im new to freeNAS and am looking for help on a really frustrating problem with FreeNAS-9.1.1-release-x64 on my home network.

I get the following when I try and access my install of FreeNAS;

freenas error1.png

I have reinstalled the whole installation and followed all the guides on the net to no avail.

I know it is hard to diagnose this issue across a forum but any help would be much appreciated.

I have tried adding a guest account and changing the permissions to suit as per http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares#Configuring_Anonymous_Access in the manual and still I can not access the share.

I have added a user to match my windows user account.

I have change the permissions on both the shares and the volume to multiple combinations with no success. I have also tried different machine son my network with the same result.

I cant believe it can be this hard to make a windows share work on FreeNAS.

Once again any help will be very much appreciated

D

dlavigne

Is the home directory for the user set to the volume being shared? Is the username the same as the login name on the Windows system?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
For guest access you don't need to use accounts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yatti420

Wizard
Change / set new workgroup.. Run CCleaner with amended settings to clear all caches..

stevem1986

Cadet
Change / set new workgroup.. Run CCleaner with amended settings to clear all caches..

Cleared all caches, no difference on any 3 of my machines, most likely issue is stemming from the Freenas server side rather than the client side

stevem1986

Cadet
For guest access you don't need to use accounts.

I understand that, but the general consensus is that to access shares froma windows machine it helps to have a user name in freenas that is linked to the windows user account

It seems I'm at a loss on how to fix this issue. Thankyou for your help guys I really appreciate it, if anyone else has any other ideas please let me know.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If all you want is guest access with no restrictions on permissions you most certainly do NOT need a user account.

stevem1986

Cadet
If all you want is guest access with no restrictions on permissions you most certainly do NOT need a user account.

Thanks PirateGhost,

It turns out it was an issue caused by an installation of Cisco quickVPN across my machines causing some registry mischief ... :)

zephyr

Dabbler
I have the same problem. How to set access permissions to volumes so that other users can access CIFS shares?

Whattteva

Wizard
I have the same problem. How to set access permissions to volumes so that other users can access CIFS shares?
It would depend on if you want user level access or just Guest access.
You have to give us more information about what you're trying to do than a simple 2-sentence question.

zephyr

Dabbler
It would depend on if you want user level access or just Guest access.
You have to give us more information about what you're trying to do than a simple 2-sentence question.

Strange thing. Yesterday, the user level access will not work. After rebooting the server now everything works as it should. If the problem persists, it will let you know.

Hi,

I also have the same problem. I just created a new user named "Cosmin" (the same name as the Windows Account Name, with the same password) in the "wheel" group (same as root). I created a new volume named "data-volume" which is owned by root (group wheel) and a new dataset named "Cosmin" inside data-volume, dataset owned by Cosmin with the group wheel (for both volume and dataset I gave permissions to the owner and the group for read/write/execute). I created a new CIFS share for Windows, with the name "Cosmin" and the path "mnt/data-volume/Cosmin", the exact same path as the home directory for Cosmin user.
I tried to connect from the computer by typing both "\\192.168.1.105" (the ipv4 adress obtain from my router's dhcp server) and "\\freenas" (the hostname) and neither seem to work, because I get the same "path not found" error.
Moreover, when I click on "Network" under Windows Explorer no network device is discovered
Please help me solve this one.

Best regards,
Cosmin Petrisor

gpsguy

Use \\ip address\sharename

Sent from my phone

gpsguy

Yes, it's the CIFS sharename, ie. \\192.168.1.105\Cosmin

mastoul

Cadet
I recently installed latest version of FreeNAS 9.1.1. My network consists of win xp pro only machines. It's been 1 week now that I read the manual and web pages about my issue. I have my data on a hdd with zfs. I need to enter permissions for users on my network. For example I have a folder named "designs" and I need my user "thomas" to have full access and another user "tony" to have read only permissions on the same folder. I tryied every combination of permissions with no luck. I tryied same user name and pass as windows user login. As a guest I can see the data but i dodn't have any permissions. i don't care about password just different permission set for every user on the same folder. What is the right settings I have to use? Thanks

I just figured it out. You must provide read and execute rights for all users on the hole path, from the volume you created on freenas server, all the way down to each and every dataset. So, "tony" should have read and execute on the volume (put it in the group that owns the volume) and also give him the right to execute the dataset. Should work perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.