Cannot see files copied into Volume...

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzikizum

Cadet
Hello all,
i've not found any post that bears a resemblance to my issue so will post this here...
I am a complete novice to most things I.T. but through sheer persistence and dumb luck I have managed to set up FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 Release x64 on my HP Proliant N54L Microserver (16234MB).

I got CIFS working (Windows 8.1) and dragged and copied across from an external HD 1.1TB of movies into the volume (v1) I created via ZFS (2 x 2TB mirrored). This took about 36 hrs to do but at the end of it when I looked in the folder there was no physical folder visible.

In FreeNAS GUI from the 'View Volumes' tab I can see that it shows that 1.1TB (61%) has been used therefore the movies are on the disc somewhere.

Looking from Windows the only folders visible in v1 volume are '.system' and 'jails'. If I right click on 'jails' and select properties the 'size on disk' starts to increase and eventually stops at about 200GB.

Not sure quite what to do now as in my ignorance I thought I could just point to the folder I copied but obviously this is not the case. My minimum aim is to watch movies using Plex via my server so i'm hoping that I won't need to re-load these movies again if at all possible. Any ideas?

Apologies if I've missed any relevant details but as you can probably tell i'm well out of my depth with this...

Scareh

Contributor
can you try and look via ftp if the data is actually present on your disks?
I presume your caching through cifs isn't really optimal atm.

muzikizum

Cadet
OK, thanks for the quick response Scareh. Currently at work so will check via FTP later but as the disk content is showing as 61% there's certainly something present. In the meantime i'll peruse through the site for more information that may help...

muzikizum

Cadet
Installed Filezilla, logged into the server and could not see the files present; just the jails and system folders as before.
Well that's a balls ache. Unless anyone knows different then I guess there'll be no way of accessing them and a re-load will be necessary...

gpsguy

Rather than using FTP, I'd go to a command prompt and check to see if the files exist. You can get to the shell several different ways. I SSH to mine, but for simplicity I'd say access it from the server itself or an option in the webGUI.

Start with "cd /mnt" (return) then "ls -l" (return) and see if you can see your pool. Don't type the quotes with the commands. When you see your pool name "cd pool name" (the name of your pool". Do a "ls -l" again and continue to navigate into the directories and see if you see the content.

Exit will get you out of this.

Sent from my phone

muzikizum

Cadet
Thank you gpsguy, have used the web GUI to access the shell. Sadly failed at the first hurdle; 'cd/mnt' returns "no such file or directory".

gpsguy

Here's an example from my system, showing you how one can drill down into the directories from the command line. Now, I could have gone directly to the folder with "cd /mnt/vol1/home/gpsguy/FreeNAS" without the quotes.

I suggested you navigate through the directory structure, just in case files are where you think they are.

You might have a permissions problem that prevents you from seeing the files with CIFS or FTP.

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# cd /mnt

[root@freenas] /mnt# ls -l

drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel    512 May 19 18:42 ./
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel    512 Oct 25  2012 ../
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  operator  512 May 19 18:41 .snap/
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      5 Oct 25  2012 md_size
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel      3 Mar 11  2012 vol1/

[root@freenas] /mnt# cd vol1

[root@freenas] /mnt/vol1# ls -l

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel    3 Mar 11  2012 ./
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 May 19 18:42 ../
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel    7 Sep  1  2013 home/

[root@freenas] /mnt/vol1# cd home

[root@freenas] /mnt/vol1/home# ls -l

drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel        7 Sep  1  2013 ./
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel        3 Mar 11  2012 ../
drwx------  16 gpsguy  wheel      17 Mar  2 19:52 gpsguy/

[root@freenas] /mnt/vol1/home# cd gpsguy

[root@freenas] /mnt/vol1/home/gpsguy# ls -l

drwx------  16 gpsguy  wheel  17 Mar  2 19:52 ./
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  7 Sep  1  2013 ../
drwx------  4 gpsguy  wheel  14 Jun 12  2013 FreeNAS/

[root@freenas] /mnt/vol1/home/gpsguy# cd FreeNAS

[root@freenas] /mnt/vol1/home/gpsguy/FreeNAS# ls -l

drwx------  4 gpsguy  wheel        14 Jun 12  2013 ./
drwx------  16 gpsguy  wheel        17 Mar  2 19:52 ../
-rw-------  1 gpsguy  wheel    6179735 Jan 26  2013 FreeNAS Guide PDF.zip

muzikizum

Cadet
Ok, I managed to work out accessing the folders via the shell which is a bonus however no sign of the copied folders...
My tiny brain cannot comprehend this; how is it that the disk itself shows 1.1TB of data on it but I am unable to locate this data?

D

dlavigne

Any errors in /var/log/messages? Can you also paste a listing of your volume, similar to what gpsguy showed in his example?

muzikizum

Cadet
Hi DLavigne,
here is a listing of my volume... Amazingly the movie folders I uploaded are now shown here and are also visible via CIFS & Filezilla. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I just deleted the dataset I created in V1 named 'Movies' after I copied the folder named 'Movies' over thus somehow obscuring the original folder? However the folders are not listed in 'view volumes' part of the web GUI. Can this be rectified?

EDIT: Ah, apologies, copying and pasting from shell doesn't appear to work...

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 5 May 17 02:28 .system
drwxrwxrwx 19 root wheel 19 May 18 18:44 Movies
drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 9 May 18 00:35 jails
[root@freenas /mnt/V1]# cd Movies
[root@freenas /mnt/V1/Movies]# ls -l
total 977
drwxrwxrwx 33 nobody wheel 33 May 18 05:24 Action & Thriller
drwxrwxrwx 66 nobody wheel 66 May 18 07:06 Animation
drwxrwxrwx 83 nobody wheel 83 May 18 10:19 Classic
drwxrwxrwx 90 nobody wheel 90 May 18 16:32 Comedy
drwxrwxrwx 40 nobody wheel 40 May 18 18:41 Comic Book Heroes & Adventure
drwxrwxrwx 46 nobody wheel 47 May 18 20:22 Cult & Independent
drwxrwxrwx 22 root wheel 24 May 17 03:24 Documentary
drwxrwxrwx 101 root wheel 102 May 17 07:24 Drama
drwxrwxrwx 41 root wheel 42 May 17 08:53 Family
drwxrwxrwx 104 root wheel 105 May 17 12:11 History, Politics & War
drwxrwxrwx 76 root wheel 76 May 17 14:45 Law & Disorder
drwxrwxrwx 95 root wheel 95 May 17 19:54 Magic, Fantasy, Horror & Macabre
drwxrwxrwx 38 root wheel 38 May 17 21:35 Musical
drwxrwxrwx 93 root wheel 93 May 18 01:43 Sci Fi
drwxrwxrwx 17 nobody wheel 17 May 18 02:10 Sport
drwxrwxrwx 44 nobody wheel 44 May 18 03:25 UK Independent
drwxrwxrwx 12 nobody wheel 12 May 18 03:44 Western
[root@freenas /mnt/V1/Movies]#

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I just deleted the dataset I created in V1 named 'Movies' after I copied the folder named 'Movies' over thus somehow obscuring the original folder? However the folders are not listed in 'view volumes' part of the web GUI. Can this be rectified?

Read the second NOTE in the section titled "creating a dataset": http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Creating_ZFS_Datasets

The answer is yes, creating a dataset makes the file/folder inaccessible. Hence we put the note in the manual so you'd know not to do that. ;)

The folders aren't listed in the "view volumes" part of the WebGUI because it's not a volume or dataset. It's a folder so it doesn't meet the criteria to be listed in the "view volumes". This is also discussed in the documentation: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Viewing_Volumes

muzikizum

Cadet
Thanks cyberjock. Had a read through but am none the wiser as to how to get these folders into a dataset, if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.