Update: Trying to clone volume to another volume, having problems - Copy is done now having iocage problems

sotiris.bos

Explorer
Hello. until recently I was running just one 8TB drive in my NAS.

A couple of days I bought 4x 10TB drives. They passed their long SMART tests today so I configured them in an encrypted stripe of mirrors and I have been trying to copy all of the data from my old drive to the new volume.

I followed this guide: https://plone.lucidsolutions.co.nz/.../zfs-freenas-migration-of-data-to-a-new-zpool

I basically took a recursive snapshot of the main dataset on the old drive and I am trying to send it to the new volume.

I ran these commands through tmux using the WebUI:

Code:
zfs snapshot -r v1@migration
zfs send -R v1@migration | pv | zfs recv -Fdvu v3

where v1 is the old drive and v3 is the new volume.

My problem is that if I ssh into the NAS as root, I try to ls -al /mnt/v3 and it shows that it is completely empty.

I can confirm that data is being written to it as the Used Space is going up in the WebUI/Pools page.

Am I doing something wrond and should I cancel it in order to not waste 15+ hours?

Edit: I stopped it. After locking and unlocking the pool, the data that I copied thus far is there. Why is that?

Edit2: I managed to copy everything over successfully and everything works as expected except iocage.

I reimported the old v1 pool as vtemp and the new v3 pool as v1.

The iocage dataset still exists on vtemp and I intend to keep it there as a backup as well as replicating it daily from v1 to vtemp.

My problem is that on boot, iocage sets the default volume as vtemp. The v1 volume is geli password encrypted so I have to unlock it on boot.

After unlocking the v1 pool, iocage shows no activated pool. I have to manually choose v1 and press activate in order for my jails to show up and start working.

Is there something I can do to automate this?

Last edited: