Can Visit by IP - Can't See Shares

DJ-rb

Cadet
So... I can visit my devices IP address, login, do whatever, all services work fine, thing is, I had a network map so I could access "Files" and Various other folders that are setup as SMB shares...

**SUDDENLY** Windows cannot access \\MYFREENASBOX\Files

I've checked the spelling (lol) There indeed might be a problem with my network... but i don't know what???

LACP IS CONFIGURED *seems to be working just fine?*

PC and FREENAS are on a L2 Managed (LACP Supporting) SWITCH > Router > WAN

Devices around the LAN can talk (can play plex on TV)

just cannot access it in WINDOWS apparently .... thoughts? suggestions? easy fixes? I've already rebooted *everything*

BTW pretty sure everything is on the same VLAN in the switch - i checked but may need to recheck? I see everything under VLAN1 there is a LAG obviously but it also claims its under VLAN1

l@e

Contributor
Check your windows machine in what network location is set. Sometime if in public it will not browse the local net via netbios.
Also enable the file and printer sharing under network sharing center.
Workaround is to do a manual edit of the hosts file and add the name of FN and its ip.

DJ-rb

Cadet
TBH I think that perhaps a setting got stuck or *out of place* in the Managed Switch? I restored it to factory conditions as well as
yes double checked all of the workgroup settings, I wanna say I gave FreeNAS a NetBIOS nickname where previously it had been blank,
and also I ensured that SMB direct - NOT SMB 1.0 - was being used in windows features - don't worry I saw COUNTLESS posts about it lol.

Currently it's working well again!