LACP not working on FreeNAS 11.3-U2.1

aasimenator

Cadet
Hi,

I am testing out a Dell PowerEdge R720xd server with FreeNas 11.3-U2.1 will I wait for hard drives to arrive for it, the server has Quad Port Intel 1GbE NICs, the fresh install works just fine, It starts up gets IP address from the DHCP on all 4 NICs. I can also ping to every single one of them.

At this point I have not even logged in on the web interface, since I have Console access via iDRAC7, I use number to 2 to Configure Link Aggregation, select lacp, select all interfaces one by one. let it give the default name lagg0 and reboot, that should be it according to the manual, but after it restarts it doesn't get any IP address from DHCP any more, so I manually set an IP address on the lagg0 interface using number 1 same as my existing network . after setting up a static IP though I still cannot ping to it. So I am thinking maybe I need to configure the switch first.

My switch is NetGear GS324T - it supports LAG, in the Switching > LAG tab, I select channel 8, (I've tried other channels) and select all 4 ports that I know are for the R720xd server namely 20, 21, 22 & 24, everything else is left at default,

LACP System Priority is 32768
LACP Port Priority is 128 for all ports

anything that I am doing wrong?

What type of LACP is the switch set to use (active or passive)? FreeNAS does active which sounds like the switch is not responding to the LACP negotiation request.

Yorick

Wizard
everything else is left at default

That switch can create static or LACP LAGs. Make sure it's an LACP one, not static.

"Static. Disables Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) on the selected LAG. The LAG is configured manually. The default is Static."

aasimenator

Cadet
That switch can create static or LACP LAGs. Make sure it's an LACP one, not static.

"Static. Disables Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) on the selected LAG. The LAG is configured manually. The default is Static."

Thank you so much for that, i've been banging my head over the weekend on this, didn't even see the LAG Type column was set to "Static"