Can someone explain the following please about zvol

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymark832

Dabbler
Sry probably really simple/ignorant questions but i'm struggling somewhat to understand
I am running a freenas 11 instance from a sdd on a esxi host, pci passthrough of the HBA that presents all the disks
I was created it all on coral (my first freenas experience) and after backing up the data and then just removed the pci device and re added it to the new freenas 11 vm it imported the disks ( no encryption) and i just had to recreate the shares (winner)

But I seem to have poor SMB speed 10mbs upload from windows vm to SMB share but before i trouble shoot i just want to make sure i have my volume setup correct, ( and that i understand it)

1. Is creating a volume (i had 5 x 4tb to create raidz2-0 (3+2 redundant )is different to creating a zvol?)
2. If this is the case can i convert my current vol to a zvol? (without data loss)
3. if 1 is not the case and i did create a zvol then i need to troubleshoot SMB performance correct?
4. i did create a ISCSI share in freenas 10 i can see it on the volume manager can i reuse it when i create my ISCI connection again?
5. would it be better to wipe the disks and start again? ( i do have it backed up) but it is about 5tb of data so last option if poss.

I appreciate people taking the time to read and reply to the above, as they probably do sound like dumb questions.

garm

Wizard
A zvol is a zfs block device you can create in a existing dataset. So the zpool you have with a raidz2 vdev is done propper.

I would guess your network speed issues comes from ESXi or the network hardware presented by it to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.