Can not modfy AFP Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

janne.hallenius

Dabbler
Hi!

Every time I try to modify a user in my Apple Shares set up the system refuses the change when clicking ok. All I get is the message "This field is required! regarding my "Home Directory Mode" settings. It wants me to enter something but I already have. Thus I can not create a User. The same fault applies if I change the Permissions for my RAID volume

Does not matter what I change it to, I always get the message when clicking OK to save changes? Bug?

This is my only obstacle from having a working NAS. But if I can't change the permissions it becomes very tricky doing that in the terminal

Ok sort of forgot this in previous post, I am running FreeNAS 8.2b4 and Firefox 13.0.1 on a Mac with OSX Lion 10.7.4. I have also tried from Chrome 19.0.1084.52 with same problems

I have also tried from another MAc using 10.6.8 with the same fault message

Very greatful for some ideas!

Thanks

Jan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 2.36.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 2.36.10 PM.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 257

janne.hallenius

Dabbler
Bug it is

Hi William!

FreeNAS 8.0.4 published on FreeNAs homepage works fine! I am new to the stuff and had problems initially with that release so I tried 8.2. Now back with 8.0.4 and it works fine after other problems solved

Thanks

Jan

Game_Ender

Cadet
I also ran into this bug, and it was after I had enabled AFP sharing. I was definitely able to create one user though before this happened.

Do you know the release schedule for RC1?

janne.hallenius

Dabbler
8.2 rc1

No sorry don't know when RC1 is due! Any one? I have looked around briefly but no answer or guess.

Jan

Game_Ender

Cadet
I rebooted FreeNAS and I was able to modify the user settings. The share worked correctly after that.

janne.hallenius

Dabbler
Ok, I have tried all options I think and could only get it to work by going back to 8.0.4.

It might be that I am using Lion 10.7.4 and doing it from a Mac via my browser there. I will try on another Mac using 10.6.8 tomorrow and see what happens. Apple seem to change things every time there is a new OS release and thereby "sabotaging" things like sharing etc

Let you know. I would like to use 8.2 soon!

Cheers

Jan

janne.hallenius

Dabbler
No solution

Having installed 8.2 RC1 I hoped my modify users problem would be gone but it is the same. "This field is required" pops up in the dialog windows as usual and I have no work around except going via the terminal I guess, sigh!

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Well, I dont have your issue. So unless you can tell your exact environment to replicate the issue, it won't be fixed.

hewimeddel

Cadet
Have this error too!

I confirm this error.

I am using Freenas8.2-release and the first thing i did was creating a new group and a user which was not a problem.

I then made a whole bunch of things, including:

importing ufs-volumes
activating afp-shares
activating smb-shares
changing the admin-user and password
changing the webinterface to a fixed adress and enabled https
changing language to german
...maybe some other configuring stuff i don't exactly recall

i then tried to add another user which failed with the red message "this field is required" in "Home directory Mode". I did not change any home directory settings, and the path for the home directory still points to "/nonexistent" since i don't use home directories.
Undoing the above mentioned steps did not repair the issue.

I had this issue also when i tried 8.2beta4 - the same red message, but it appeared already when i tried to add the first user - this is the reason creating a user was the first thing i did in this release and i thought the problem was solved.

ah, i forgot:
The error happens with different browsers on different operating systems.

bye
hewi

burnduck

Cadet
I've done a fresh install of Freenas8.2-release-p1

-changed admin password
-imported volumes
-created AFP shares
-created users

and I'm greeted with "This field is required." error

-turned off AFP in services, same error.

-restarted the server, issue disappeared.

This annoying little glitch creeps in every now and then, and it's always the permission boxes that's causing the problem

Urgh...
Without me changing anything in configurations the fault creeped back in as I was trying to change the users permission!

hewimeddel

Cadet
After disabling AFP and SMB and rebooting with this services stopped, adding users worked.
Seems like a workaround until this bug is fixed.

Thanks for your help.

bye
hewi

mrchris76

Cadet
New to FreeNAS. Thought I'd give it a go on my new shiny HP Microserver N40L. Just this come across this bug too and pleased to see mention of it on the forum. Was beginning to think I was going mad! Hopefully will be fixed up real soon.

Chris

mrchris76

Cadet
OK this having to reboot with AFP and CIFS services set to off so I can make changes to user accounts or create new ones is getting annoying.. Is this logged as a bug? Probably about time I learnt how to do such things!

mrchris76

Cadet
OK. Here's my setup

HP Microserver N40L
8GB RAM
3x2TB Wd Green drives (set up as ZFS RAID-Z pool, 3.6T available space)
1x250GB Seagate drive
8GB USB Flash drive with FreeNAS 8.2.0-RELEASE-P1
2x Apple Mac Minis connected to NAS over gigabit ethernet (using netgear gigabit 5-port hub)

Steps taken to install/configure FreeNAS

1. DD image to USB flash stick as described in installation doco.
2. Boot up off USB flash drive. FreeNAS grabs DHCP IP address.
3. Log in to web GUI from Mac desktop, set admin password
4. Auto-import ZFS volume (created initially 2 days ago after installing FreeNAS 8.0.4) - this is /mnt/data
5. Create a dataset for each user on /mnt/data (e.g. /mnt/data/bob /mnt/data/alice etc)
5. Create 2 user accounts (bob, alice), setting home directory to the relevant dataset ( e.g. /mnt/data/bob)
6. Create AFP shares called bob and alice, setting path to /mnt/data/bob and /mnt/data/alice respectively, and setting share password, completing allow/deny fields, the rest accepting as default.
7. From my Mac, Command-K and enter afp://192.168.1.80/
8. Prompted to select which share I want to mount (for some reason I can't just enter afp://192.168.1.80/bob, that doesn't work just get permission denied), I pick bob
9. 'bob' share mounts successfully, I copy a whole load of data (a couple of gig) across to prove it.

Now, here's where the fun begins.

1. Via webgui, add another user called timemachine, leave home dir as /nonexistent (have also set home as /mnt/data/timemachine with appropriate dataset configured), home directory default settings, set and confirm password.... and accept.

See attached image for the 'this field is required' in the Home Directory Mode area.
Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 5.15.32 PM.jpg

Now, if I go and attempt to change the permissions on bob or alice's shares, the Home Directory Mode checkboxes are all empty, if I try and set them again I get the same 'this field is required' when submitting changes.

I can do this all day long, I have repeated the above steps 4 times now and used different USB flash drives.

Now if I follow the previous suggestion of turning off AFP service and rebooting, I can go in and edit an existing user and also create one. But this does't last, 15-20 mins later problem is back. Haven't timed it yet, thats next :-D

So, definitely repeatable in my case. If someone spots an error in what I am doing please point it out! Could all be down to me doing something wrong...!

Also, only services running are AFP and SSH. Browsers used, Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Cleared cache out on each.

Cheers
Chris

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
What browser are you using?

Have you tried clearing the cache? Does it also happens in other screens? Like Change permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.