Can not access Freenas remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fillmore

Dabbler
I'm trying to access Freenas server remotely. I have two computer/locations I have not problem and two computer/locations that I can not access.
I accessing using window 7, and window explorer. In the file explorer I enter the freenass address
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or \\name. I can enter the ip or domain name.

I'm getting the following error. Spelling is correct, I have try the diagnose, so I do not know what is wrong, any help?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Please give more details regarding the following:
1) your network topology (whether you are running both servers on same LAN, are accessing through a VPN, trying to port-forward through a router, etc.)
2) the services you are trying to use for sharing
3) What you exactly mean when you say you are "tying to access FreeNAS server remotely"

Fillmore

Dabbler
1) I'm running Freenas on my office LAN using windows (CIFS), I also have FTP services. local/office LAN Works great.

I'm trying to access the files remotely over the internet at 4 different locations, Next door, home, worker house, owner home. All places are using window 7.
3) when I say remotely, I mean at a differ location/router/isp network, over the internet.

However when we try to use Window explorer, I get the error message as shown above.
2) so I guess I'm trying to use the CIFS services

note: At all locations I can access Freenas using FTP client, also IE. However my goal is real time access over the internet with map drive letters.

hope this clarify things

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It sounds like you have freenas exposed to the internet (ie in a DMZ). This is a terrible idea. You need to set up a VPN. Look into setting up a pfsense firewall in your home office where the FreeNAS server is located. It will require purchasing some hardware. You can get help from the pfsense forums, and alternatively you can get commercial support to help with config if it seems too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.