Can't access shares over Wifi, windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthXavius

Cadet
Hey, sorry if I am totally unaware as to what is going on but I've spent over 7 hours googling and searching the forums and I am at a total loss here. I can access my NAS files and the web GUI from my work computer (in the home) connected to the router via ethernet, same as the NAS itself. I can connect to the FreeNAS web-gui via my HTPC in the living room over wifi, but can't access my files. Both computers run Windows 10 and FreeNAS version is FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269). I get a popup when I try to access the NAS files in File Explorer on windows 10 that says enter credentials. I used to just enter "root" and my password and everything was good, now windows says I can't access the shares because I don't have permission. I can access it over the ethernet computer though so WTF.... Ive tried about 20 things that I found online to get freeNAS to work, but to no avail. I tried accessing through Kodi, which is what my HTPC is for, and that didnt work either over ethernet and kept saying password or username was incorrect. No idea what is going on, it used to work until I updated FreeNAS a week or two ago. It used to have something called "CIFS" shares under services, which is how windows accesses the files I gather, but now that is missing and my searches tell me this was replaced with something called "SMB". Please let me know what you need to help me get this working, I've setup FreeNAS over 6 times now using a bunch of online guides and nothing worked....

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
After 7 hours of working on this you didn't bother to read the rules about posting here? Hardware info, share layout, users, permissions of datasets and any log messages are required if you want help.

Based on the info you provided I can tell you it's a permission problem and you should give the user correct permissions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gpsguy

@m0nkey_ has a video tutorial on the subject. Look at his signature for a link to it.

DarthXavius

Cadet
After 7 hours of working on this you didn't bother to read the rules about posting here? Hardware info, share layout, users, permissions of datasets and any log messages are required if you want help.

Based on the info you provided I can tell you it's a permission problem and you should give the user correct permissions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Certainly did read forum rules. No idea how the hardware of my NAS has anything to do with a sharing issue, the NAS itself works great and has for years and I'm connected to it on three other PC's. I provided my exact build and I described my network setup in my original post and then asked people to let me know what they need in order to help me out if they wanted to. I'm gonna check out @m0nkey_ 's videos and see if they help at all but I've followed dozens of tutorials at this point and nothing has helped. I know it's a permission problem but my users in the freeNAS webGUI have full permissions and I've reset the password a bunch of times, made sure it is correctly typed in hundreds of times, and made sure that "Disable password login" is unchecked. So, if anyone has a specific log file or something that would help diagnose and is willing to tell me how to get that for them I would really appreciate it. I am not a software engineer and have no clue how or what log files anyone would need, nor what to do to fix the permission issue. I'm sure I've done something with a "dataset" in all the tutorials or stuff in the manual I've tried but I don't know where that info is or what you would need...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Certainly did read forum rules. No idea how the hardware of my NAS has anything to do with a sharing issue, the NAS itself works great and has for years and I'm connected to it on three other PC's. I provided my exact build and I described my network setup in my original post and then asked people to let me know what they need in order to help me out if they wanted to. I'm gonna check out @m0nkey_ 's videos and see if they help at all but I've followed dozens of tutorials at this point and nothing has helped. I know it's a permission problem but my users in the freeNAS webGUI have full permissions and I've reset the password a bunch of times, made sure it is correctly typed in hundreds of times, and made sure that "Disable password login" is unchecked. So, if anyone has a specific log file or something that would help diagnose and is willing to tell me how to get that for them I would really appreciate it. I am not a software engineer and have no clue how or what log files anyone would need, nor what to do to fix the permission issue. I'm sure I've done something with a "dataset" in all the tutorials or stuff in the manual I've tried but I don't know where that info is or what you would need...

Post a debug file.

Status
Not open for further replies.