Can I upgrade from 11.1.U7 to 11.2?

splaisan

Dabbler
I am running 11.1.U7 which is the latest version my update page knows of in the train 11-STABLE.
Can I change train to 11.2-STABLE or is this dangerous for my data.
I read that 11.2 will fix my issue with smartD not working with my Dell PercRaid since some update within 11 (used to work before)
I cannot move my data to another NAS and need to be sure I will not loose it before dong something stupid.
Thanks for your advice
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 10.23.37.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You can do it and be confident your data is safe.

No upgrade will ever damage your data because the system disk is not part of your data pools.

splaisan

Dabbler
just did and it worked, thanks @sretalla for the msg. The only sad news is that SMART is not back with this, possibly because my disk IDs are way too long. Too bad, I'll leave without it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
An important caveat on this is when an upgrade makes new ZFS features available and you elect to upgrade your data pools (after the system is upgraded).

Upgrading the pools can impact data (recoverability), though the data itself should still remain safe and you can argue that this is at least linked to upgrading FreeNAS, so please consider that point when taking my earlier comments into account.

The only sad news is that SMART is not back with this, possibly because my disk IDs are way too long. Too bad, I'll leave without it.
SMART problems are something you don't really want to live with too long as that's how FreeNAS can warn you about impending disk failures in order to help to prevent data loss or damage.

Can you get some kind of output from smartctl -a /dev/dax (where dax is one of your drive identifiers)?

splaisan

Dabbler
Here we go

The RAID was built by setting up virtual disks for each separate physical harddisk at the Perc side then muxing them in freenas to create the current NAS. We discovered later that this was not the way to go but I have no way to rebuild the NAS as I cannot copy the 10+ TB elsewhere.

Thanks for your help

[root@freenas ~]# smartctl -a /dev/da0 -T permissive
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: DELL
Product: PERC H710
Revision: 3.13
User Capacity: 299,439,751,168 bytes [299 GB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
>> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
Current Drive Temperature: 0 C
Drive Trip Temperature: 0 C

Read defect list: asked for grown list but didn't get it