SOLVED can i configure s3 to act as a link to Amazon Glacier

iliak

Contributor
We already have in house backup server, but we want to have one extra backup offside, and i am thinking of amazon glacier .
is it possible to integrate amazon with freenas?

the ideal scenario i want:
i copy file to mounted folder , the file uploaded to amazon, but a link to the file is kept , so when ill try to read the file the file will be read from amazon

if it is not possible i would like to know what is my best option (something that is simple to configure, but it should be based on amazon)

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
That sort of automatic redirection you described isn't possible, but you can certainly copy or sync files to an S3 bucket such as Glacier with a cloud sync task. In order to "move" the files to Glacier, you'd have to do a copy operation then delete the files on your local FreeNAS. From there, you'd have to browse the Glacier bucket to find to file you want and pull it down.

Just a note, and you may be aware of this, but Amazon charges extra for data pulled back down from Glacier. If you set up something to move stuff into a Glacier store and redirect requests for that data to the Glacier store, you could accidentally end up with a very large bill from Mr. Bezos at the end of the month. Just wanted to give you a heads-up!