Build sanity check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grewterd

Dabbler
I would like to ask advice regarding my planned upgrade for my FreeNAS build. Currently I have 4 x 4TB drives in RAIDZ1 and 5 x 6TB drives in RAIDZ2. They are connected via a pair of Dell PERC H200 HBAs which have been cross flashed to IT mode. PSU is a SeaSonic X Series X-850. Case is a Fractal Define R4. Current board is an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 with a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T CPU and 32GB of ECC RAM.

I have two choices for a new motherboard.
First choice is Supermicro X10SRH-CF.
Second is Supermicro X10SRi-F.
I like the X10SRH-CF but I'm not convinced that I should bother with the added expense given that I already have two HBAs.

Either choice, RAM will be Supermicro 5018GR-T 4x16GB to start with to be upgraded as funds allow.

I plan to mostly stream high-rez audio and video up to 4k and transcode 4 to 6 streams. Which leads me to my choice of CPU and I'm not sure which I should go with. Obviously the 1650 is more capable, but it's much more expensive, I just do not know if the 1620 is enough CPU for my needs.
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3 3.5 GHz 4 Core
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.5 GHz 6 Core

Once this is done, I'll eventually replace my boot drives with SATADOMs and then add a 5th 4TB drive in order to rebuild the vdev as RAIDZ2.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.