BUILD question about my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xatian

Cadet
I'm compiling a shopping-list for a FreeNAS build that will be used as general storage, PlexMediaServer (2-3 streams at max), transmission, encoding blu-rays and storing some sensitiv encrypted data.
The total capacity spread across different volumes will be around 40TB (for now)

I am pretty sure I will use mostly these disks:
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALS640 (www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/ultrastar-7k4000)
(4TB 6GB/s NL-SAS)

and this CPU:
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3 (ark.intel.com/de/products/82763/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-v3-10M-Cache-3_50-GHz)

which should simplify the selection of the remaining parts.

Now my question is regarding the chassis, mainboard and the hba (if needed):
I think I will buy a SuperMicro-mainboard as they are strongly recommended in this forum and after reading a while they seam pretty nice.
Specifically the one with the 8x - SAS3 looks interesting.
Supermicro X10SRH-CF (www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x10srh-cf.cfm)

Furthermore it seems that SuperMicro-chassis are a recommended investment so I though I will select one of those but I don’t really know which one to take.
I definitely would like to have a 4U 24-bay rack-mount version —> so one of these:
www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/?chs=846

Now the question is how to connect the 24 discs to the mainboard and what chassis to use?
For example I could think of this one:
www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846BE2C-R1K28B.cfm
which would fit the mainboard perfectly (I think). If I am correct I wouldn’t need any extra expanders or hbas but on the other hand I also think that it would be an absolute overkill since my disks don’t need this kind of performance.
With another chassis I would need an extra expander (which is not cheap) or an extra hba (like LSI SAS 9201-16i) which is also not cheap.
On the other hand I could use a X10SRi-F or X10SRL-F and install more hbas (like 3x-8x)

Maybe there is another better/cheaper option?!
What would you recommend?

Regarding the RAM —>
The X10SRH-CF’s supported DIMMs-list doesn’t leave much choice as it is not very long.
I though to start out with 2x 16GB and upgrade if needed which leaves me with these three models:
http://www.supermicro.com/support/r...2&prid=84053&type=DDR4 1.2V&ecc=1&reg=1&fbd=0
Is there any difference between these dimms? Can you recommend any of those or some completely different?

Thank you!

So while the SAS3 sounds amazing, and i am sure it is...i think FreeNAS still has some driver/firmware issues as of 9.3, not sure of 9.3.1. As per the chassis, it too has SAS3 backplane and expander board, i am not sure how a SAS3 backplane and a SAS2 HBA would play together, if you went with that motherboard, i think you'd need an additional PCI E HBA just to have the SAS2 connectivity until the SAS3 drivers are polished.

Hopefully i am wrong and the SAS3 drivers are coming along nicely and you'd be able to use this lovely build and its SAS3

Xatian

Cadet
So you are saying that SAS3 is not supported (or does not work properly) with FreeNAS? Can you tell me what is not working? Is there some place where I can look that up?
Can you (or someone else) "guess" when or if these issues will be resolved? :smile:
I mean ... I know that noone can know the answer but being around in this community (or using the product) you could make an more educated guess then I ever can...
If it maybe takes a few weeks I am happy to wait as I have to buy and build the system anyways.

If it turns out that I can't use the SAS3 then buying the mainboard with the onboard 8x SAS3 isn't a good idea is it?
And if I buy a PCI-e HBA I cannot use the SAS3 expander integrated into the chassis right or are these backward-compatible?
What chassis and mainboard (+hba) would you recommand?

Most recent post https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/strange-hdd-behaviour.36466/#post-222804 , https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/big-project-tips-and-references.35622/ , https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/aoc-sas3-9300-16e-on-freenas.35645/#post-217457 .

I am not sure how backwards compatiable the SAS3 -> SAS2 stuff , in theory getting the board with SAS3 and just leaving it disconnected would be fine, if you had a SAS2 HBA , and if the SAS2 to SAS3 backplane worked then you could in theory keep the SAS3 board, use the SAS3 backplane, and but use a SAS2 HBA to the SAS3 backplane and when the SAS3 drivers/firmware are more polished then you could make the jump. Sadly a quick google didnt give me an answer on using SAS3 backplane with a SAS2 HBA...might require more research or someone with a higher/better understanding of SAS stuff then myself.

Xatian

Cadet
Well ... I will give it a try ... thank you.

Can you please comment on the RAM-question as well? Which one should I take -->
Hynix, Micron or Samsung? Any preferences?
Thank you!

i like Micron and Hynix, havent used Samsung RAM before...but if its on the tested page i would trust it

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Samsung is a tier 1 DRAM supplier, as are Micron and Hynix.

Status
Not open for further replies.