M-ATX MB in E-ATX Chassis (Supermicro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlinton

Dabbler
In the past, I have always used full size server boards (E-ATX) in my Supermicro Chassis. However, I'm working on a backup node and I really don't want all that extra power going to waste. Has anyone ever...

Put a M-ATX Motherboard like this: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCL_-F.cfm

Into a Supermicro Chassis like this: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846TQ-R900.cfm

The obvious question I have is, will it "fit"/Align correctly? - Mainly around the various air ducts/shrouds those cases have.

Second, would the board align with the expansion slots correctly? -- I need two cards, a M1015 and an Intel SAS expander.

Finally, would things like fans still function correctly? I have never paid to much attention to how those hook up on my current systems.

I appreciate the help!

Mark

marbus90

Guru
all ATX standards are interchangeable. mATX is just shorter/narrower than EATX, PCI slots etc still align up.

Do you have that chassis already? If not, look for the 846E1 SKU which has the expander integrated into the backplane.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
all ATX standards are interchangeable. mATX is just shorter/narrower than EATX, PCI slots etc still align up.

Do you have that chassis already? If not, look for the 846E1 SKU which has the expander integrated into the backplane.
Or you can wait for the hardware picking robot to appear. :D

mlinton

Dabbler
I do not have the chassis yet. I didn't know that the 846E1 had a built in SAS expander. It does look like a better option based one what I want to do, thanks for the tip!

I'm emailing Supermicro, I'll post my findings...

marbus90, I trust you, but since anodos suggested that I email them before your suggestion came in, I guess I have to email them to be sure!

Mark

so i do need to warn you, that chassis as well as most of the supermicro ones i have come across ( i own 2 different ones) they have a specific pin out connector that comes in 2 different lengths and i think 2 different kinds. One is i think 20 pin to 20 pin, and the other is 20 pin to 14 or 18 pin i believe for the motherboard connections.

On the supermicro case page, at the bottom is a parts list, i think this is the part that sometimes has different variants:

Cable 3CBL-0217L116 pin control panel converter cable for SC826,846, 22cm, PBF

Status
Not open for further replies.