Not open for further replies.

mpfusion

Contributor
Hi,

considering a new server build:

- Chassis: Supermicro SC836BE1C-R1K03B
- Board: Supermicro MBD-X10SRH-CF
- CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4
- RAM: 2x32GB, 2133 DDR4, RDIMM (model not yet decided, I need to find out what I can get my hands on)
- 2x Intel 320 SSD 80GB mirrored or
- 2x SATA DOM 16GB mirrored (I still have a spare one, so only need one more)
- bunch of WD reds (taken from current machine)

The new build is supposed to run Corral. Is the mentioned hardware supported?

I plan to use 2x32GB RAM to leave enough headroom for further RAM upgrades. Or does it make more sense to use 4x16GB?

Will the LSI 3008 work with FreeNAS? Will the LSI 3008 require a firmware upgrade?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

darkwarrior

Patron
I plan to use 2x32GB RAM to leave enough headroom for further RAM upgrades. Or does it make more sense to use 4x16GB?

Will the LSI 3008 work with FreeNAS? Will the LSI 3008 require a firmware upgrade?

Hi there,

you definitely should go with 2x32GB to make your (eventual) future RAM upgrades easier. :)

The Onboard LSI controller will just need to be flashed to IT mode.
You will find resources in the forum here of how to perform that operation. ;)

FishNChips

Cadet
I'm not sure where you're located, but here in Canada I've been seeing the SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F at roughly the same price as the X10SRH-CF. Gives you two extra ports for roughly the same price, no other differences, as far as I can tell.

mpfusion

Contributor
I'm not sure where you're located, but here in Canada I've been seeing the SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F at roughly the same price as the X10SRH-CF. Gives you two extra ports for roughly the same price, no other differences, as far as I can tell.

You're correct, same here. Maybe 20-30 bucks difference IIRC. However, I really don't need four ports. The server is connected to just two networks. And even if the number of networks increases, there's VLANS (not all networks need full bandwidth).

Will check the exact price difference next week. If it's not much more, I'll consider the CLN4F.

Status
Not open for further replies.