Bring pool back online after switching drive(s) to another port or interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

YourLocalGP

Cadet
Hi all.

I am running FreeNAS 9.1 at home in an amateurish PC-case. Recently I had to change a component in the machine, and in doing so I managed to damage one of the SATA ports of a PCIe SATA card. It had a sata cable attached before the clumsiness, and now the cable won't stay attached.

That same card has a spare SATA port on it, so I plugged the SATA lead into that one instead, admitting defeat with the broken connector.

The problem is that I can't bring the drive back online using zpool, because as far as ZFS is concerned there's no drive in that port. I have tried offlining and onlining the pool, thinking that if I moved the disks to new hardware then logically ZFS would need to accept different interfaces. This just resulted in the online operation bringing about the same situation before - one of the disks being marked "UNAVAIL".

I don't think I can use the "replace" command either as it too is for replacing a failed drive on the same port and interface as the failed drive.

Anyone's advice on how to solve this would be very appreciated.

Thanks

YLGP

cyberjock

Inactive Account
ZFS doesn't go by ports, at all. It doesn't care as long as the controller the hard drive is plugged into is compatible with FreeNAS.

You need to look at your configuration more closely. My first guess is that you plugged your hard drive into a controller you haven't used on FreeNAS and its not compatible.

YourLocalGP

Cadet
Hi. Thank you very much for the advice.

And, you're right - it wasn't what I thought. The other end of the SATA lead, where it plugs into the motherboard, had a cracked plug.

Cheers

YLGP

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There ya go! That definitely sounds like a possible culprit!

Status
Not open for further replies.