Booting from USB on Dell R520

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thread I saw on this topic was two years old, so I was hoping someone might have figured this issue out.

I've tried booting a known-good USB key from the front, back and internal USB connectors, and the machine sees the device as "PRAM", but it claims its an invalid boot image.

I've tried other images besides FreeNAS such as Linux and they don't work either, so I'm assuming it's a Dell issue.

Anyone figure out the magic combination of BIOS settings to get this to work? I'd hate to have to boot from CD and write configs to USB. It's a bit janky.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you are unable to boot from USB, you could boot from a small internal hard drive. Unfortunately that is a waste of space but it could be the only option you have.

I also don't understand why a USB drive would be considered PRAM.

How are you creating the USB flash drive? Also have you tried to boot that flash drive in any other computer? It won't cause any harm if you do, just don't start setting up drives, see if it will boot. When you say it won't boot, what kind of message do you get?

I've tried booting it in other Dells without issue. I'm using dd to create it.

It just says invalid boot image.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well if it boots in another machine then I'm not sure where to go from here. If it didn't boot I would say to create it from a bootable CD of FreeNAS as that works perfectly. If you plan to use that Dell computer then you may be stuck with using an internal hard drive to boot from.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The posting above made me think of something... The USB flash drive isn't write protected nor is it an encrypted flash driver, right? It's just a simple plain USB flash drive.

Yes, it's just a flash drive, to which I copy the FreeNAS ISO image. I'm on a Mac. Here's the commands I use to create it:

hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o /path/to/target.img /path/to/source.iso
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
sudo dd if=/path/to/target.img of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1024

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't know if what you are doing is correct however I'd just make the bootable CD from the FreeNAS ISO and make it that way. You would save a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.