FreeNAS doesnt load from usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfcgomes

Cadet
Hi guys. I'm having some troubles with FreeNAS installation. I've downloaded the .ISO from the website and i've burnt into a cd. Then, with cd, i've installed FreeNAS on a USB flash drive. Everything was fine and the installation was completed. It askes me to remove the CD and reboot the system.

And then, after a reboot, and making sure that PC was booting from the USB, it stucks in bootloader. Thats what I get:

20120905_203115.jpg

I've already tried to re-install everything again, and i get the same.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks for your help.

Stephens

Patron
Are you using a flash drive that is at least 4GB? If not, do so.

What version of FreeNAS as you attempting to install?

lfcgomes

Cadet
Yes, my pen drive is a 4gb pen drive. I'm trying to install FreeNAS 8.2.0 (32 bits).

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

lfcgomes

Cadet
I've already tried to install FreeNAS directly onto a pen drive using 7-Zip and Win32DiskImager on Windows, but it's the samething. I got the same message :\

Stephens

Patron
Try a different flash drive. Some are problematic and some go bad.\

More importantly, have you unplugged all unnecessary drives and tried installing/booting? Your error message refers to "fd0" and I'm no *unix guru, but that seems to be a floppy drive.

lfcgomes

Cadet
I've already tried a different flash drive. but unfortunatly, it stucks in the same place.... :\

I've no idea how to solve this

StephenFry

Contributor
Was that 2nd flash drive the same brand/type as the other? There do seem to be some idiosyncrasies with certain brands/types/production runs.

Do you have a hdd or ssd lying around you can try, just to test if it's a USB issue?

lfcgomes

Cadet
No. the 2nd flash drive is not the same brand. beyond being from different brands, its bigger (4gb vs 16gb).

I've installed freeNAS on the hdd of the computer, and it worked perfectly, but, obviously, i'm not interested in that solution, because I can't use the same hdd of the installation for storage. Thats why i'm trying to install freeNAS onto a usb flash drive.

Something was going wrong with the installation into the usb flash drive (I guess)

Stephens

Patron
Have you tried installing something else bootable to a flash drive and booting it, just to make sure your computer isn't doing something funky?

Status
Not open for further replies.