Booting FreeNAS: zpool import causes panic

intelligence

Explorer
Follow up to my previous thread here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-hba-–-supermicro-x11sch-f-lsi-9207-8i.86231/

I've since replaced the HBA with a new one and still facing the same issue, when FreeNAS tries to import the pool during boot it'll crash.

zpool status + zpool import gives me this:
iKVM_capture-17.jpg

Following the advice from a thread on Reddit I tried:
Code:
sysctl vfs.zfs.recover=1
sysctl vfs.zfs.debug=1
zpool import -Ff Storage

Which renders:
iKVM_capture-18.jpg

Anything I can do at this point, or is my data gone?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Looks like the errors start happening after attaching gptid/058360d8-3123-11e8-adc8-d0509946c62a. What happens if you remove this disk before starting the import?

Samuel Tai

OK, you've got a bad disk somewhere in the pool. Reconnect that drive, and try disconnecting each of the remaining drives, except for ada0-3, and reimporting each time.

intelligence

Explorer
I have now tried testing importing the pool with one drive disconnected, cycling through all 10 of them. I get the same error every time.

Working theory is that data was corrupted when old system suffered power loss or similar (it would die randomly, before dying altogether). Can anyone confirm if this seems plausible with the error ouput? And if any thing can be done at this point to recover.

Samuel Tai

Maybe the corrupt BLKPTR is on your boot pool. Try reinstalling to a new disk, and then try the import again.