Is this a bug?

intelligence

Explorer
Was informed on Reddit that I might be experiencing a bug with FreeNAS. Back story is: old FreeNAS system died (wouldn't POST), I've since replaced all HW besides disks and are now trying to get back online.

When FreeNAS tries to import the pool, it panics and dies. I've tried with FreeNAS 11.2-U8 (running I was when system died, very same boot USB) and FreeNAS 11.3-U2 (on brand new NVME). Output is a bit different, but result is the same, fatal error.

Pool is a 10 disk Raidz2.

This happens if I try to mount read only and if I try sysctl vfs.zfs.recover=1, sysctl vfs.zfs.debug=1 zpool import -Ff Storage

From Reddit discussion:
May be a kernel bug or may be elsewhere but it's a bug for sure. (Edit to add: The warnings above that crash are not good but the OS shouldn't page fault because of bad data. It should print more warnings and possibly stop on purpose if it can't bail out of the import at that point.)

11.2-U8
iKVM_capture (3).jpg

11.3-U2
iKVM_capture (5).jpg

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

c77dk

Patron
Can you shed any light on the hardware used?
I don't have any firm ideas on the issue you're experiencing, but my first thought is it could be hardware related.

intelligence

Explorer
You know that there was 11.3-U2.1 to fix a bug with importing pools, right? https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-3-u2-1/

Why wouldn't you go to 11.3-U4.1 in any case?

There are a few threads where people mention having exported pools when on 11.3-U2 without the fix and it seems need to go through a tricky process to recover (https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-105782). I hope you had a backup in any case.

I was not aware, I will test with most recent version of FreeNAS, although I wonder if it's the same issue I'm facing since booting with original boot media at 11.2-U8 was not successful either.

Can you shed any light on the hardware used?
I don't have any firm ideas on the issue you're experiencing, but my first thought is it could be hardware related.

Old system:
E3C224D4I-14S (using built in controller, flashed to IT mode)
Intel Xeon E3-1241V3
4 x Kingston ValueRAM Server Premier 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L DIMM 240-pin

New and current system:
Supermicro X11SCH-F (using a mix of onboard SATA with LSI 9207-8i flashed to IT mode)
Intel Xeon E-2246G
2 x Samsung DDR4-2666 CL19 ECC SC - 32GB

Just now tried booting Ubuntu Live USB and importing the pool, here's a log from that.

sretalla