Booting freeNAS from USB on a Mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawmill

Cadet
Hi, is this even possible?
I downloaded the iso, booted the iso from a vm, installed the OS onto a USB stick and got the confirmation that all went well.
Now when I try to boot from the USB on my Mac, it doesn't see the usb. In fact if I plug in the USB stick whilst running OSX it tells me that it is unable to read the stick. What gives?

Oh and I'm running v. 9.10 and my mac is a recent model....

TIA[/QUOTE

rawmill

Cadet
Interestingly enough, I was working on something like this today. If you are keeping your OSX drive, you can install rEFInd and use that as a boot manager. Make sure you read the OSX warnings - that should allow you to boot FreeNAS from the USB drive. I'm not going to comment on whether or not this will be viable, or even recommended but you should be able to do it. I was trying to use an old Mac Mini as a FreeNAS device and use the internal drive as storage to serve files to Mac, Linux, and Android devices.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
@jgreco keep your thread ready for when this will explode in mid-air :)

/popcorn

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@jgreco keep your thread ready for when this will explode in mid-air :)

/popcorn

Well ***actually*** this would be a whole lot more interesting if he was loading ESXi on the Mac and then trying to make a go of it from there with some VM's.

This just seems like trying to inflict pain to find where the edges are. I probably shouldn't mention that FreeNAS inside VMware Fusion seems to work fine.

prismus

Dabbler
I appreciate all the helpful replies but certainly not the condescending and snotty ones.
I have a mac that is currently gathering dust, and I know from experience that OSX server is an unreliable option which is WHY I wanted to explore the FreeNAS alternative. If I understand correctly, it makes more sense to just leave the Mac to gather dust than to turn it into a NAS. Thanks for this incredibly valuable insight!

danb35

Hall of Famer
If I understand correctly, it makes more sense to just leave the Mac to gather dust than to turn it into a NAS.
Nobody here said that, so no, you don't understand correctly--not even close. It does make more sense to let the Mac gather dust than to try to use it with FreeNAS.
Thanks for this incredibly valuable insight!
...and this from the one who complained about "snotty" replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, I registered it, hence my reply. The only one being "snotty" (to use your word) in this discussion is you. You asked for help, and we gave it. The help was to tell you that what you're trying to do is simply not a good idea.
13239246_1200455466652067_7585871927608649889_n.jpg

prismus

Dabbler
"I'm waiting for the "I managed to get FreeNAS to boot on my Mac but now I can't access OSX anymore""

"I love when someone gets told the hammer won't work because their screw is not a nail, and they want to use the hammer anyway."

"@jgreco keep your thread ready for when this will explode in mid-air"

"This just seems like trying to inflict pain to find where the edges are."

Enough condescending remarks for you???
Please, if you are going to make a constructive remark, read through the thread before!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
How were those condescending remarks? After being warned about it you still said "I don't care what you guys say, you don't know anything".

Why ask us anything since you obviously don't want the advice of the people that actually know better?

prismus

Dabbler
Oh so you put words in my mouth and can read my mind?
This coming from the person who made the first condescending remark in the thread: "I love when someone gets told the hammer won't work because their screw is not a nail, and they want to use the hammer anyway."

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You didn't like the answer that you got and immediately thought "Oh they think it's better to air and collect dust". No, they all gave you better options and ideas and told you FreeNAS was not a proper fit for this setup.

You then said I don't care, just tell me if you can boot to FreeNAS. Your question was indeed answered, but again you chose to ignore that.

I didn't put words in your mouth, you just completely ignored the advice of experience.

And my comment wasn't condescending. It was a truthful commentary on the situation I saw unfolding. If you think it was condescending then you may need to try and gather up the feels you left back there and make an attempt at understanding what people have been trying to tell you. If you use FreeNAS with this setup, you WILL regret it one day because your data will NOT be safe with this configuration.

prismus

Dabbler
1. I did say that I appreciated all the helpful remarks, it was in fact my first sentence. My question was in two parts: is it possible? If so, how do I go about it?
2. You are again putting words in my mouth in your first sentence and from there trying to figure out what I'm thinking
3. Read your condescending remark again, its condescending whichever way you spin it.
4. I totally understand the message of the thread, I just dont understand the condescending parts, got it?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
1. That sounded condescending to those that were trying to warn you.

2. I didn't put words in your mouth. Your actions and comments said all these things to us.

3. No. It wasn't condescending.

4. You state you understand the warnings, yet you really didn't acknowledge them at all. That's where the remarks come from.

Let me ask you this.

When, not if, the project blows up in your face taking your data with it, how will you handle the situation when it's your data on the line and not just your feels?

If you acknowledge the recommendations made by others in this thread, then why would you say "oh so it's just better to let the Mac collect dust"? When we told you there were better options available?

prismus

Dabbler
You're starting to sound like a grand inquisitor, i'm surprised that you havent asked me to repent for my sins yet!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Please, if you are going to make a constructive remark, read through the thread before!
If you'll read through the thread, you'll see that I've given the only actual suggestion on how to make the USB stick boot. I don't know that it will work, but it might work. So far as you've posted, you haven't tried it. Are you interested in getting this to boot, or are you more interested in being butthurt that we're telling you that what you're trying to do is recklessly foolish?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I have nothing against trying new things; however it is best to try to experiment in a "controlled environment".

So for sake of argument, lets say you are able to get FreeNas to boot from the USB fine and it even sees all the hardware.
im using the Mac to boot FreeNAS from the USB stick which means that I get to conserve the OSX drive and boot from it whenever I want.
  • Be careful that you don't accidentally select the OSX Drive to add to a vDev otherwise that drive is now toast (for the most part)
An external drive attached to the Mac. The purpose is to run a FreeNAS system to manage a file sharing environment amongst a plethora of Macs.
  • If you are talking about USB attached storage, then that is most definitely not a good idea
  • External drives for the most part is not a good idea unless they are via proper methods (Never a USB Hub.. ;) )
  • If you get this working, then decide that you need to boot up OSX guess what happens to that file share that everyone is using?
    • Guess they will have to wait until you reboot back into FreeNas
    • I have idea what OSX may/will do to either the USB or the external drive when it is up and running; hopefully nothing that would change/modify either but who knows?
Since I don't own a MAC I can only suggest that if you are experimenting then perhaps you could see if there is a way to actually remove/replace the existing hard drive (shelving the current one to prevent data loss). From my understanding it this system was just gathering dust anyways.

All that being said, I would say that this should be considered as an experiment at best and never considered a "Production" worthy endeavor. People tend to get upset when their data goes bye-bye. :)

prismus

Dabbler
If you'll read through the thread, you'll see that I've given the only actual suggestion on how to make the USB stick boot. I don't know that it will work, but it might work. So far as you've posted, you haven't tried it. Are you interested in getting this to boot, or are you more interested in being butthurt that we're telling you that what you're trying to do is recklessly foolish?
Yes I did try it and failed and so apologies for not having commented on this.
And by "we're telling you" you mean yourself and the grand inquisitor so please dont make it sound like everyone in this thread is of the same opinion as you!

Status
Not open for further replies.