Boot volume degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabsd

Dabbler
I got a critical alert on my FreeNAS 9.3 system that says "The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state."

I used 2 USB drives when I initially installed the system (I believe this is called mirror boot?). The "boot status" shows da0p1 is ONLINE, da0p2 is FAULTED (please see attached grab). So I assume I have to replace one of the USB drives... but how do I know which one is da0p1?

Thanks!
boot.jpg

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
IMO it's not really worth your time to figure it out. Just do a fresh install and be done with it in 10min.

If your USB devices have lights on them you could just see which one lights up when you go a constant read.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gabsd

Dabbler
IMO it's not really worth your time to figure it out. Just do a fresh install and be done with it in 10min.

If your USB devices have lights on them you could just see which one lights up when you go a constant read.

Thank you SweetAndLow! This is probably a dumb question, but will the fresh install recognize my data volumes and not mess them up?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thank you SweetAndLow! This is probably a dumb question, but will the fresh install recognize my data volumes and not mess them up?
You will need to save and upload your config file. After that everything should be the same. You might have to double check email notifications still work afterwards.

lmannyr

Contributor
I had this issue a few weeks ago. I shut down the system, pulled one USB out. See if it boots off the one that is still in the system. If not, swap and boot the system. Then. When the new USB comes in, put it in the USB slot and repair/replace under the same boot menu in your original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.