boot disk failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirecom

Cadet
I have an Athlon XP system with 1GB of ram. If I try to install Freenas, it goes through all the procedure then when I try and reboot it comes up with a boot disk failure.

My first thought was a faulty disk, but I then installed Ubuntu server again from a cd iso and that installed fine and booted off the hard drive.

Any suggestions?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1GB of RAM is much to little for FreeNAS. The FAQ says 8GB and the manual recommends 6GB+!

shirecom

Cadet
I have resolved the problem. It was because the only disk in the system was the boot disk. When I added a second disk for storage it booted fine, and I know 1GB is not a lot, but there are only memory slots on the motherboard and I only had 1GB spare. If I can I will increase it to 2Gb. But thats all the board will take. It makes a mockery of saying that you can use an old PC as a NAS if you have to put 8GB in it as most of the older boards will not take that. I do have a 2TB usb drive for the storage aspect of it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It makes a mockery of saying that you can use an old PC as a NAS if you have to put 8GB in it as most of the older boards will not take that. I do have a 2TB usb drive for the storage aspect of it.
Depends on what you define as "old". My "old" PC is circa 2008, and it has 20GB of RAM in it right now(upgradable to 48GB). I'd say using 5 year old hardware is a pretty good lifespan. Especially since I expect to use that server for another 2 years, at which point it will be 7 years old. I have no clue what hardware you are using that is so limited, but my guess is its far older than 7 years right now. Do you really expect to get a full decade of usefulness from hardware you buy???

Considering Vista's "premium" requirements require a minimum of 1GB of RAM, your machine is certainly pre-circa 2006ish, which means your machine is beyond "old" and is pretty much "archaic". Even a 2005 machine(I'd guess yours is circa 2004 or prior) that means your machine is at least 8 years old.

I think your expectations may be a little too high here.

Status
Not open for further replies.