Can't get FreeNAS to boot from CD on my PC, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliskier

Cadet
Hi, I am trying to turn an old Windows XP PC into a FreeNAS server. I am at the "boot from CD" step in the process, step 2 (if step one is to burn the .iso onto the CD). I cannot get FreeNAS to boot from the CD onto my computer, though it is set to boot first, I have even disabled the other drives. Instead I get the following message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

My system:
Motherboard: MSI RS482M4/RX480M4 Series
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.79 GHz
384 MB of usable Ram on a single 512 corsair stick (rest goes to video)
The CD rom drive is IDE

EDIT: Ok, i just found out that I should be using NAS4Free with the low RAM, so will switch to that, but how do i get past the issue at hand even with NAS4Free?

Any advice? I have researched and spent a few hours on this this morning so I thought I would turn to this forum for help.

bollar

Patron
Well, on the FreeNAS side, you simply need more RAM. There's no way around that. I don't know anything about NAS4Free

caliskier

Cadet
Well, on the FreeNAS side, you simply need more RAM. There's no way around that. I don't know anything about NAS4Free

Agreed, but even so I should get it to recognize the boot disk. I have two PCs and tried to get it to boot from the boot disk on both, no dice. I am not sure what the problem is. Shouldn't it just boot if the CD rom drive is scheduled to boot first?

doglover

Dabbler
Will the disc boot on a different computer? Sometimes the discs are just bad..... Try burning another at slow speed. And of course you are not just burning the iso file to a disc like it's a data file, you are using the burn image function, right?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your machine may fall into this category...

There was a time when PCs were switching to SATA. Some machines had both SATA and IDE, but the IDE was actually not bootable. The motherboard manual specifically mentioned this and said that only USB and SATA were bootable. That could be your situation considering how little RAM you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.