Block Access to my NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOHM

Dabbler
Hi,

I use my FreeNAS in a setting where security is a huge issue. I am within a secured "university" network and have set-up a Windows share on my FreeNAS that can be seen by every computer in my network. What is the best way to allow only access to my FreeNAS from one computer, but allow the others to connect to the share? I just can't have anyone easily logging into my FreeNAS from anywhere other than within the "university" network.

I keep reading about SSH but I'm don't quite know if it helps in this situation.

Thanks,
J

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
assuming its a CIFS share with Windows client, uncheck 'browseable to network clients' and manually map your nas to your computer?

if you have linux client, i would use NFS instead of CIFS (NFS works in certain versions of Windows also, but isnt the easiest to configure if you dont understand NFS)

I assume you also mean
allow only access to my FreeNAS from one computer, but NOT allow the others to connect to the share?

??

DOHM

Dabbler
assuming its a CIFS share with Windows client, uncheck 'browseable to network clients' and manually map your nas to your computer?

if you have linux client, i would use NFS instead of CIFS (NFS works in certain versions of Windows also, but isnt the easiest to configure if you dont understand NFS)

I assume you also mean
allow only access to my FreeNAS from one computer, but NOT allow the others to connect to the share?

??

Well I mean is it possible to not allow anyone to access the IP to my FreeNAS Web GUI except certain IPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.