BIOS hangs after reboot after installing Freenas 8.0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkboy31415

Cadet
I can install Freenas from a DVD to a flash drive and configure it to work fine. But when I reboot without the DVD my Phoenix BIOS enumerates devices and then hangs before letting me hit DEL (Setup) or F11 (boot order).
I thought it was a hardware problem but then installed Windows 7 on the same hardware and it worked. So now I'm back to Freenas again. This time I installed to a hard drive instead of a flash drive and was able to do some basic setup. But again, as soon as I attempt to boot from the harddrive instead of the DVD the BIOS locks up.

I would assume that Freenas is basically incompatible with my hardware except I can boot from the DVD and everything works. Also, this hardware was my MythTV box for two years and is known to be linux compatible with an NForce 4 chipset.

I want to learn iScsi and this was my opportunity. If it turns out it doesn't work then all won't be lost. :smile:

Scott

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Scott,

I would be helpful if you could post your hardware specs. I think this is a known problem with certain hardware. You don't have to install FreeNAS to the flash drive using the hardware you plan to run it on. You could flash your thumb drive on another pc and then plug it into your FreeNAS box.

milkboy31415

Cadet
Hardware:
Intel Celeron Processor
1 GB RAM
ECS C19-A Motherboard
PATA Drive Western Digital 80GB (WDC WD800JB-00CRA1) enumerated as IDE Channel 0 Master
SATA Drive Seagate 500GB ST3500641AS-RK enumerated as IDE Channel 2 Master

I was inspired by an entry in the FAQ and found that if I removed the power to all my hard drives I could get into the BIOS again. Then if I changed the BIOS setting
Integrated Peripherals > IDE Function Setup > Primary Master PIO to Mode 0
then I could boot Freenas from the PATA drive. I read on wikipedia that I'm cursed to a very slow rate with Mode 0 but it boots.

I still have the problem that if I attach my SATA drive then no matter what the PIO mode, it still hangs the BIOS. I tried all PIO modes 0...4. Then I tried during off DMA but I'll have to find that setting again.

williamae

Cadet
I have the same Problem
Athlon AMD 3800+ pretty old
2 Gb RAM
Maxtor 120 Gb - FreeNAS installed on it
Seagate 500 HDD - SATA
The problem is whenever I mount the volume to use it in the network it becomes unresponsive then on reboot the machine hangs on POST.
Since the machine was old I started to throw away everything out cuz initially I thought it might be RAM or 56 Modem ( Why the hell would I need it , I donno ).
Then I pulled out 500 Gb cable and the machine came back to life.
So I connected the 500 Gb to my other machine (Ubuntu) and erased the whole thing in it including the 2 Gb FreeBSD partition (no idea what it does) and then connected it back to the FreeNAS and booting probem solved. I repeated the whole scenario ( mounting the volume and etc...) again and the same problem happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.