Big problem - after systemfail volume locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran

Dabbler
Morning guys,

i have an big problem with my freenas 9.2.1.6 64-bit. After my system (usb stick with freenas installation) was failed completely i had to reinstall the freenas on new usb stick. Now i have restored the saved settings of the nas, but i can´t include the raid volume in the freenas. The volume "disk1" is locked. I have no password or keyfile for it.

Can anyone help me?

freenasProb1.jpg

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you have encrypted the drives and don't have the password or keys then you are out of luck. That is the whole point of encryption.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Unless you can pull the keyfile off the old thumbdrive, then "no chance".

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is PRECISELY why we advise people, generally, not to use encryption. Does anyone REALLY have data that is so super secret that they have to encrypt it? There is a risk associated to encryption, as the OP demonstrates.

If you have encryption needs, why not just store a truecrypt folder on the NAS. Much less risk.

bran

Dabbler
I had never created the key and passphrase bevore and never download it ! But the volume will still not be unlocked.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I had never created the key and passphrase bevore and never download it ! But the volume will still not be unlocked.

Correct. Per the manual it says to create a passphrase, download the key, recovery key, and passphrase and store them in a secure location.

FreeNAS defaults to storing the keys *temporarily* on the USB stick until you get around to finishing the instructions for creating encrypted pools. Unfortunately you never actually finished the instructions. Hence your data is now perma-encrypted with a key that is effectively unhackable in the remaining time that Earth is likely to exist. :(

bran

Dabbler
This is not good :-/
So i must create new passphrase and download the key (key=passphrase?) - but what is the "encryption re-key","add recovery key" ? Its different to passphrase?

david kennedy

Explorer
This is PRECISELY why we advise people, generally, not to use encryption. Does anyone REALLY have data that is so super secret that they have to encrypt it? There is a risk associated to encryption, as the OP demonstrates.

If you have encryption needs, why not just store a truecrypt folder on the NAS. Much less risk.

Agree with you 100% on this one. You see many questions around "encrypted volumes" here but they never address two concerns:

1) Is the data worth it?
2) What about the risks?

Too many people seem to think they are running the NSA and need high-grade encryption at home, but are not prepared to deal with it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.