Big issues with iSCSI under Mac OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

I've set up a FreeNAS server to share an iSCSI volume on a dedicated network (point to point 10Gbe fibre). When I initiate the volume under Windows with the built-in initiator, no problem, it mounts, I can read/write on it, etc.
But I got really bad issues with it under Mac OSX, the volume mounts but :

- When I add some files on the volume from Windows, I can't see them under Mac OS (sometimes they appear after many hours and few reboots).
- When I add some files on it from Mac OS, the copy seems to be OK, but Windows doesn't see those files neither Mac OS after I dismounted/remounted the volume.

So basically Mac OS doesn't see files on the volume and files Mac OS adds on the volume goes into the twisted nether (gamers will understand ;) )...

Technical details :
- FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511020249
- iSCSI volume formatted in NTFS (with the Windows built-in disk manager)
- Mac OSX 10.10.5 with ATTO Xtend SAN and Paragon NTFS for Mac (all legit and last versions)
- There is only one target/portal/extent on the server

If anyone has an idea how to solve that or had the same problem it would be really helpful for me !

Thanks everybody,

Emileduhomard

PS : we're working on film restoration, so we need to be able to transfer rapidly folder with hundreds of Gb of 12Mb files, which explains 10Gb point to point, between server and both Windows and Mac OS computers.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Please say these systems aren't connected to the iSCSI at the same time.

If they are, you should read up on iSCSI and filesystems, specifically NTFS

The final purpose is that multiple systems are connected in the same time, yes, basically I want to build a SAN.

I've read stuffs about filesystems, file sharing and block level sharing (mainly wikipedia) but no incompatibilities appeared to me, maybe I missed something, I'm more an A/V tech than an IT tech.

I've also tried with the volume formatted in HFS but the same problems appear.

If you have any other idea, what we need is a fast file/volume sharing system. We already have many NAS (QNAP) in our network, but Mac OS isn't really good at mounting SMB and even AFP volumes on these since 10.9

Thanks

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You can not connect an iSCSI target to a windows and Mac machine at the same time. Setup a CIFS share instead.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The final purpose is that multiple systems are connected in the same time, yes, basically I want to build a SAN.

I've read stuffs about filesystems, file sharing and block level sharing (mainly wikipedia) but no incompatibilities appeared to me, maybe I missed something, I'm more an A/V tech than an IT tech.

I've also tried with the volume formatted in HFS but the same problems appear.

If you have any other idea, what we need is a fast file/volume sharing system. We already have many NAS (QNAP) in our network, but Mac OS isn't really good at mounting SMB and even AFP volumes on these since 10.9

Thanks
NTFS is not a clustered file system. Neither is HFS as far as I know. Use NFS or CIFS. Iscsi is not appropriate at all for this application. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.