Backup tutorials, Bacula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

Cadet
Hello,

I've got my FreeNAS box up and running (with help from this forum) and I'm learning as I go but I've been unable to find any tutorials to meet my backup needs. Please can some one point me in the right direction, or if nothing currently exists if some one would be willing to write something here to help me?

What I have and want to do with it...

I have a pair of 2TB HDs (mirrored) in the FreeNAS box onto which I'm backing up my Windows machine with Acronis. This is now working after a battle with permissions. This replaces my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo.

I have a pair of 500GB HDs (mirrored) in the FreeNAS box which store my data. This replaces my Qnap TS-209II. I can access my files in this pool and that's all fine (again after a battle with permissions).

What I want to do now is backup the data on the 500GB discs to the 2TB discs within FreeNAS, rather than having Acronis on the PC pull the data across the network from the 500GB discs only to push it back again to the 2TB discs.

Then I want to be able to backup the 2TB discs in FreeNAS to 2TB discs in external USB3 enclosures. I have two of these and plan to always have one off-site. I want to plug one of them in, let the backup happen then take the disc off-site, collect the other one, bring it back here and plug it in ready for the next backup. This will happen on a weekly basis. I don't know if the differing serial numbers of two different drives will cause a problem, I don't want to have to change config. each time.

I have installed the Bacula plugin but don't know if this will do what I want and if it will I can't figure out how to configure it properly. I've looked for Bacula tutorials but they all seem to be about command-line versions and a webmin that isn't in the FreeNAS plugin. I can't find one specifically written for the FreeNAS plugin.

If any one can help me achieve what I want to do it would be greatly appreciated. Preferably using the web interface, I was pretty good with the RISC OS command line but that was a long, long time ago, I don't do much with CLIs these days so would prefer to keep it GUI if I can.

Cheers, Mike....

MikeH

Cadet
Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I've not been able to make any headway with it. I looked into Rsync as well but I'm not sure that's going to do the differential backups I want. I'm pretty much at an impasse just now. I've had a lot on this week so haven't been able to go back to the Rsync manuals to have another go, will hopefully get to that tomorrow. I think Bacula may be my better bet though, but I haven't been able to work out how to set it up.

Cheers, Mike...

danjng

Explorer
Been searching for the same... No luck, but hopefully someone has some experience with Bacula on FreeNAS and they'd like to share!

Status
Not open for further replies.