bacula-sd Media Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Nelson

Dabbler
When adding a Device, you are prompted for a Media Type, which is a dropdown. The only valid value in the list is File, and if I try changing it, it will not save any other value.

In my setup, I have one Director in my NY Office, and every other office has a set of client machines and a Storage Director. I am trying to replace an Ubuntu based SD with FreeNAS. The configuration from the old server was:

Device {
Name = LI-FileStorage
Media Type = LI-File
Archive Device = /var/bacula/data
LabelMedia = yes; # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
Random Access = Yes;
AutomaticMount = yes; # when device opened, read it
RemovableMedia = no;
AlwaysOpen = no;
}

I create specific Media Types for each office, because without it, Webacula can't figure out where the next backup is going to go.

Anyways, it's perfectly acceptable to put anything you like into Media Type. From the Bacula documentation:

Media Type = name-string
The specified name-string names the type of media supported by this device, for example, "DLT7000". Media type names are arbitrary in that you set them to anything you want, but they must be known to the volume database to keep track of which storage daemons can read which volumes. In general, each different storage type should have a unique Media Type associated with it. The same name-string must appear in the appropriate Storage resource definition in the Director's configuration file.

I've tried modifying the config file by hand, but every time I restart, it seems to be rebuilt from the configuration specified in the GUI.

Also, has a new PBI been released to address https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/7772 ? I had to manually edit the file on my system which is running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Tony

D

dlavigne

Where exactly are you putting your custom config (eg in which file and is it oin the jail for the bacula plugin or in the FreeNAS shell)?

Tony Nelson

Dabbler
In the jail, I was editing /usr/pbi/bacula-sd-amd64/etc/bacula-sd.9103.conf . Every time I restarted the jail, that file seemed to be recreated with the values from the UI.

In the UI, this is the field: http://take.ms/ALaAU

Thanks for any help in advance
Tony

D

dlavigne

Interesting. I had no idea that a GUI plugin config rewrites the plugin's config file on reboot.

Fortunately, plugins will be handled differently (and hopefully, for the better) in 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.