backup only specific folders in FreeNas to a USB 3.0 HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooledspirit

Dabbler
Hi there,

I read about Freenas backup possibilities that make backups of the complete setup, incremental or not, replicate complete disks, etc...

But that's not what I'm looking for. I only want to backup or even just copy certain folders, containing the most important data for us (family pictures, family videos, etc...), these will be located on Freenas in specific folders.

I thought of some USB 3.0 HDD drive that would have to be "enabled" (I just mean it should be in some energy conserving state when it's not used, perhaps this is already the case on hardware level) at specific intervals (like once in 24H or even 48H, during night) and have Freenas backup only those folders. If the disk is full, the oldest backup can be removed. Or in case it is just possible to copy files with some script, use a "previous" and a "current" folder or something (to contain copy of today and the day before).

Intention is to have the most important data safe in case somebody decides to accidentally delete data or other unexpected events that modify or screw up that data.

Any hints on what possibilities or approach is best ? I don't mind writing some (simple!) scripts if that would be the best approach...

Many thanks !

Cooled Spirit.

paleoN

Wizard
But that's not what I'm looking for. I only want to backup or even just copy certain folders, containing the most important data for us (family pictures, family videos, etc...), these will be located on Freenas in specific folders.

I'd vote for rsync for this.

Intention is to have the most important data safe in case somebody decides to accidentally delete data or other unexpected events that modify or screw up that data.
ZFS snapshots, while not backups unless they are sent elsewhere, can help with accidental deletion, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.