Backing up the data in Freenas 8.01 to another drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

babou

Cadet
I have setup FreeNAS 8.01 with 1 TB drive and it works fine. I want to backup all the data from the FreeNAS, by adding another 1TB HDD internally. Is it possible or is there another way to do this ? I want the internal or usb solution. BTW, i'm going for RAID later as well. Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
Is this something that you want to happen automatically on a regular schedule, or just a one-time copy?

You could always just make the 2nd disk a 'mirror' of the first and after if finishes 'silvering', remove the 2nd disk. There's rsync, or you could use 'dd' from the command line for another exact duplicate.

Tell us more about why you want to do this (one-time or regular), or if you are just trying to increase your space or redundancy.

babou

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I would like to add a spare hard drive and copy all the data in FreeNas for redundancy, or attach an external USB hard drive and back up the data there on regular intervals as well. I tried looking at Rsync, there no option to do it locally, only to do it remotely. If, you can walk me through on how to do it, It would be greatly useful. Thanks again

ProtoSD

MVP
Here is a thread about replication, but there's info about using rsync with cron to make a backup to another folder/drive on your local system:
ZFS-replication-on-localhost

Here is another thread which discusses backing up with rsync:

rsync-on-8.01beta4-problems

Seach is your friend, the forums are filled with answers if you practice your search techniques ;)

Hope those links help!

babou

Cadet
Thanks a lot, I'm going to go thru the links you have given me. If I have more questions, i'm going to get back in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.