Availability of VIMAGE option when creating jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

montello

Cadet
Hi there,

I have question about when the VIMAGE option is available (not grayed) during creation of new jail in GUI.

I am using Freenas for home purposes. Currently it runs on budget PC (x86 Centrino) with version 9.2.1.6.
When I try to create new jail the VIMAGE option is grayed on all jail types for x86 machine. there is also Virtualbox type which is set for 64bit machine and that is the only type when VIMAGE option becomes available to choose... (i guess running 64 bit jail on x86 machine won't work ;) ).
I tested creation of my own jail type and indeed selecting 64 bit system makes that option available...

I couldn't find any clear explanation what are requirements for that option to be available. I red only that the network interace has to be in Promiscus mode, but enabling that manually (via ifconfig) changes nothing.

Can anybody explain when it works? And maybe point me what to do to get jail with VIMAGE?

TiA

mjws00

Guru
I think the answer is run the 64-bit version on appropriate hardware. 32-bit jails are a little problematic iirc.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
32-bit releases won't be made anymore, so you *definitely* need to move to 64-bit. Many functions aren't available in 32-bit anyway.

Centrino is not a good platform for a FreeNAS box. Read our hardware stickies.

montello

Cadet
Thanks, but if I had 64 bit hardware to spare at this time I wouldn't be asking this qestion ;P

So is it official: jail with VIMAGE isn't available on x86 hardware?

Besides good or not platform it is, it worked fine for me for about year and half. Just wanted to check out the openvpn to simplify external access. I don't see the point in upgrading hadware in near feature. Maybe later when my needs will grow...
Right now if the matter is closed I gues I'll stay with simple file transfer via ssh :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, if you can't make the move to 64bit you should move to FreeBSD itself or find another OS to use for your server. 64-bit is not exactly asking alot, and neither is 8GB of RAM. For hardware as old as yours, you are probably going to be better served with an older OS that isn't expecting the newer gen stuff.

I can't tell you if VIMAGE is or isnt' officially available for two reasons: I haven't tracked x86 stuff because I really haven't cared that much, and x86 is dead so using x86 is going to soon be a major security risk because you won't be able to get OS patches and such.

I don't think the appropriate question is if VIMAGE is supported in x86. I think the appropriate question is whether you are moving OSes or getting better hardware. The VIMAGE is secondary as you have bigger decisions to make right now.

montello

Cadet
I totally agree with you that moving to 64 bit hardware is reasonable and not that expensive. On the other hand what for do I need 8GB ram for home digital archive accessed from time to time? I just don't feel the need for upgrading now. It works fine the way it is (perhaps because of very low demand - most of the day it stays idle and 2 concurrent connections are rare ocasions) I also don't want to learn another OS since I got used to this. So I gues I'll eventually upgrade hardware somewhen in the future but not just now.
For now I take as an answer: "trying that kind of jails is not reccomended for your hardware". OK, I just had a silly idea that maybe I can add vpn to my server by little effort. Now I know it's not that simple in my case. So I'll come back to that idea once I have more time and better hardware.
Thanks for your time

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You need 8GB of RAM for FreeNAS and ZFS to work correctly. You can probably build a dandy fileserver with as little as 32MB of RAM and a FreeBSD or Linux OS, but FreeNAS wasn't designed to fit that niche, so you won't be doing it with FreeNAS.

montello

Cadet
jgreco
sorry but my FreeNAS with ZFS (2x1,5 TB SATA) works correctly for about 1,5 year on this legacy equipment with only 2 GB ram :P So don't tell me that I can't do what I've already done ;)
I know that it would fail for REAL demand but typical home demand is rather low and I don't have yet enough equipment at home to create high enough demand to cause problems
In other words I know that I've equipped Porshe with old WV Beetle engine but it can steel take me to church on Sundays ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It isn't a matter of load. We've seen people with little systems who thought they were just dandy for months or years suddenly crash and panic and damage the pool irrecoverably.

I'm absolutely telling you it WILL run fine, up to the point it doesn't. I'm glad you haven't exploded yet. You are welcome to keep thinking "I'm all good and this is safe and fine" ...

But there could be some major sadness in your future, at which point I'll be pointing at you as the latest example of why I bumped the required minimum from 6GB to 8GB.

mjws00

Guru
Dang we had a Porsche/VW thread and a Diesel/Gas thread going for a second. I propose Chev/Ford next but a little Cummins/Powerstroke action would suffice.

These guys just care too much. Stick NOS on that VW and blow it to hell. That Porsche will make it to church on the rims as well, who needs rubber? ;)

Last edited:

montello

Cadet
I guess I don't have enough level of paranoia to make triple backup system in atomic-proof vault, followed by cloud storage, but I do feel warned, thanks!
Besides I do keep bicycle in the trunk (additional backup on external usb drive) just in case... ;)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Never did understand all that. I like my hybrid SUV.
Electric motors are awesome. Those old trolleybuses in the *stan countries (built under the USSR) may look like total hunks of junk, but in the hands of the right driver (new and/or drunk) the acceleration can throw passengers off their feet. :)

Last edited:

montello

Cadet
I agree. In my city they have extended the net and bought brand new ones. And now you can't even trust they'll go their way cause the new ones can disconnect from network and just go on on accumulators :)

Status
Not open for further replies.